BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
LFMcMillan
Calcite | Level 5

When SAS was installed on my computer, the file associations were not created automatically. When I clicked on .sas files they didn't open in SAS at all.

I was able to right-click on a file and use "open with" to browse to Windows --> Program Files --> SASHome --> SASFoundation --> 9.4 and then selected "sas.exe" but that now just runs the files in batch mode when I double-click on them, instead of opening them in SAS to edit them.

I don't seem to have the Manage File Types utility installed on my computer, because it doesn't exist in the Start Menu SAS folder.

I'm running Windows 10.

Please tell me if there's another way to find out if I've got the Manage Files Utility installed, and also if there's another way I can set up .sas files to open in SAS windowing, without having to edit the registry?

Thanks

Louise

5 REPLIES 5
Shmuel
Garnet | Level 18

Running sas on-line or batch uses the same sas.exe program.

The difference is in options delivered to sas  - either by sas configuration file (you may hold more than one) or in-line.

You can define a .bat file to run sas on-line with the appropriate options.

LFMcMillan
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Shmuel,

Thanks, I had suspected that was the case. Do you know if there's any way to change the Windows 'open with' to point at the config file as well as the sas.exe file?

Also, is the Manage File Types utility meant to still be part of SAS on Windows 10 i.e. is it a problem with my install that I don't have that on my computer?

Thanks

Louise

Shmuel
Garnet | Level 18

Hi @LFMcMillan, it was long years ago when I used sas on windows platform.

In a .bat file - i.e. a script file - the syntax will be something like:

<path>\sas.exe -<option1>  -<option2> ...

Check your sas documentation for windows 10 environment:

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/hostwin/69955/HTML/default/viewer.htm#p16esisc4nrd5sn1ps...

Configuration file - I believe that can be found in same directory as the sas.exe program - is with .cfg suffix.

You may found both configurations ready in the directory, of course withe different names.

Sorry I can't help more.

Shmuel
Garnet | Level 18
You can create your own .bat files - one for online the other for batch - and create shortcuts on desktop to run the desired one.
LFMcMillan
Calcite | Level 5
Hi Shmuel,

No worries, thanks anyway for the info.

Louise

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation