BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
sidjoshi04
Calcite | Level 5
Whats the Difference between University edition (OnDemand) and paid version(Used by Organizations) of SAS.
Are all features same like Automation etc...
4 REPLIES 4
ballardw
Super User

The biggest difference is that the University Edition is being suspended and will not work, planned, very shortly.

The "paid" versions can have a large number of modules related to specific types of tasks. The university edition has  most of the base, SAS/STAT and some of SAS/ETS (time series) and SAS/IML (matrix language).

I am not sure what you mean by "automation" but since the University Edition is intended as a learning tool it does not have elements for production work.

SAS On Demand for Academics is replacing UE, is web based, free and also a learning tool so has limitations on procedures, data size and tools.

sidjoshi04
Calcite | Level 5
Thanks dear for your reply, I meant OnDemand.
Can I get real time experience or knowledge in OnDemand, same as Paid version? Like I want to use it with Tableau.
Reeza
Super User

On Demand has most modules available but it's not the same as a fully paid version and is hosted in the cloud. You do not have admin access so there are things you cannot do. 

You cannot connect your Tableau server to it. If you're using Tableau Desktop and have the appropriate drivers/license you can download your SAS7BDAT files and connect to them. 

You can use Python with SAS On Demand. 

SAS has an equivalent of Tableau called VA which offers similar functionality and has a two week free trial period. 

The coding interface is the same as the paid version and most modules are included in On Demand.

Zinedine
Calcite | Level 5

The Univ Edition got me started in school but felt too limited for bigger projects. It was perfect for basic courses but couldn't handle advanced classes or intern work.
Now with the paid version at my job, it's a whole different ballgame. Suddenly I have all these fancy tools that blew my mind. But best of all is the support - whenever I'm stuck those SAS wizards save my butt. They fix things so fast, keeps my productivity high.
The collab features also rule. No more combining files, just work seamlessly in real-time. And the community is gold for benchmarking my work and solving coding issues.
Man, that development dervices part of the paid SAS is also a lifesaver. There was this one project where we really needed to up our predictive modeling game. The data was messy as hell too. I tried for weeks to get it working but just hit wall after wall. It was super seamless too - I found the information and I was able to easily import the files for further work using SAS university's integration feature. You can learn more capabilities: here: https://andersenlab.com/services/mobile-development
Long story short, Univ Edition works for starting out but you need the full fat version if you wanna get serious in analytics.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 7 likes
  • 4 in conversation