BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Sami1532
Calcite | Level 5

Hi, 

I'm currently trying to use SAS to get rid of the empty excel rows while also deleting some additional columns that I don't need. 

Is there a generic formula I can use to do this? I'm also using the SAS University edition, not sure if that'll change anything too much. 

Thanks! 

7 REPLIES 7
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Why not just fix your Excel spreadsheet and then re-import your data?

Sami1532
Calcite | Level 5

I have to do this as part of an assignment for my professor so he wants us to use SAS. I would much rather use excel. 

SASKiwi
PROC Star

IMO a dumb assignment then 😀.

Investigate the DROP statement for deleting extra columns and the WHERE statement for deleting extra rows. 

Sami1532
Calcite | Level 5

It really is, I'm honestly losing my mind because I don't know how to use SAS. 

I'll try to use the DROP function. Quick question a few of my classmates have used this: 

options missing = '  '; 

data examtwo;

set examtwo; 

if missing(cats(of_all_)) then delete; 

run;

- BUT this isn't working for me. It just deletes all my data. Not sure if this is also a possible option? 

SASKiwi
PROC Star

There's a typo in your code - add a space between of and _all_. Without seeing your data not sure it will work though:

options missing = '  '; 

data examtwo;

set examtwo; 

if missing(cats(of _all_)) then delete; 
run;

DROP is a statement not a function:

data want;
  drop COLA COLB;
  set have;
run;
andreas_lds
Jade | Level 19

Depending on the number of variables you need to drop, it could be easier to use the keep statement instead of drop. With the following keep-statement all variables from FirstVar to LastVar are kept, all vars before FirstVar and after LastVar are dropped.

keep FirstVar--LastVar;
GoldingAngela
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello, 

If they are simply just empty rows and you know the range that you want to remove, try this:

DATA WORK.Want;

SET WORK.Have;

IF _N_ IN (row#:row#) THEN DELETE;

RUN;

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation