BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
rudfaden
Pyrite | Level 9

As far as i can tell, the Excel libname engine is not supported on unix. the xlsx engine is, but is does not allow for deleting excel sheets. So is there a way to delete a excel sheet on a unix server running SAS?

5 REPLIES 5
rudfaden
Pyrite | Level 9

It does not work. As far as I understand this can only be done with the Excel engine which is not availible on unix. But if I am wrong, please let me know. 

I get the error

ERROR: XL.Raaderum.DATA cannot be deleted because files cannot be deleted from the XL library.
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

**** (insert suitable expletive here). I was hoping that SAS would be able to do this from what is basically a zip archive of XML files.

The way I see it, you could only create a new workbook and copy everything from old to new with the exception of the spreadsheet that is to be deleted.

But that would most probably kill a lot of information you want to keep (eg if you have a workbook with pretty formatted sheets).

xxformat_com
Barite | Level 11

I don't have a straight forward solution.

However if you have an additonal computer with Windows installation, you could consider using proc upload/proc download to more the file there to complete the update with DDE... and then retrieve it on your Unix server.

Reeza
Super User
Just confirming you want to delete a sheet in a workbook, not the whole workbook? If it's the whole workbook, then you can use FDELETE.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation