BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
onimisi_esho
Fluorite | Level 6

I created a table on SAS work.sas_table with 5 columns(3 char and 2 numeric) by running a select query from an external database(hive presto). I got a warning that "the following columns could have a lenght in SAS of 32767. if so, SAS performance is impacted."

I tried to work with work.sas_table then got this error: "ERROR: Index TEMPINDX cannot be created on file WORK.'SASTMP-000000019'n because the length of the index value (32767 bytes) is too
       large. The index page size (currently 32767) must be large enough to store three index values plus a small overhead
       structure. Reduce the length of the index value or use the IBUFSIZE= option to increase the index page size (up to a maximum
       of 32,767 bytes).
ERROR: :Unable to create temporary index while processing summary functions.
"

On checking the properties of wor.sas_table I discovered the the reason for the first error looking at the length

NameTypeLengthFormatInformatLabel
Col 1Character32767$32,767.00$32,767.00month
Col 2Numeric82020msisdn_key
Col 3Numeric81111smartphones
Col 4Character32767$32,767.00$32,767.00imei
techCharacter32767$32,767.00$32,767.00tech

Please how do I alter the table and possible reduce the length of the character columns of work.sas_table. Is there a function in SAS I can use? I am running SAS Enterprise

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jklaverstijn
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Hi,

A good approach here is to first create the target table without any data but with the definitions as you want them. Then you run your extract and do a force append of that to the dataset you created. This will make certain you get what you want instead of letting the access engine decide. For example:

/**
 * Step 1: create the target table.
 */
data target;
    attrib col1 length=$10;
    attrib col2 length=$40;
    attrib col3 length=8;
    call missing(col1, col2, col3);
    stop;
run;

/**
 * Step 2: define the source, preferrably as a view.
 */
proc sql;
    create view source as (select col1, col2, col3 from ....);
quit;

/**
 * Step 3: Load the source data into the target table
 */
proc append base=target data=source force;
run;

This is a pattern that is typically implemented in the data loader transform in SAS DI Studio.

Hope this helps,

-- Jan.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
jklaverstijn
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Hi,

A good approach here is to first create the target table without any data but with the definitions as you want them. Then you run your extract and do a force append of that to the dataset you created. This will make certain you get what you want instead of letting the access engine decide. For example:

/**
 * Step 1: create the target table.
 */
data target;
    attrib col1 length=$10;
    attrib col2 length=$40;
    attrib col3 length=8;
    call missing(col1, col2, col3);
    stop;
run;

/**
 * Step 2: define the source, preferrably as a view.
 */
proc sql;
    create view source as (select col1, col2, col3 from ....);
quit;

/**
 * Step 3: Load the source data into the target table
 */
proc append base=target data=source force;
run;

This is a pattern that is typically implemented in the data loader transform in SAS DI Studio.

Hope this helps,

-- Jan.

onimisi_esho
Fluorite | Level 6

hi @jklaverstijn 

Thank you so much.

It worked like a charm.

I am grateful.

Best regards,

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation