BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Ihsan-Mahdi
Quartz | Level 8

Hello,

I am working on a data set flattened using proc transpose. The resulting set has 34 columns or two variables. I would like to concatenate these columns into two (one for each variable). I used the CATX function in this manner:

data want;
length Medication $200 Response $200;
set have;
Medication=catx(",", Medication1-Medication34);
Response=catx(",", Response1-Response34);
drop Medication1-Medication34  Response1-Response34;
run;

but it didn't work producing to variables with all blanks. No error and no warning.

Any suggestions/tips on where I went wrong? Also, if I were to do the same thing with numeric variables, which concatenation function would be the best to use?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kurt_Bremser
Super User
Medication1-Medication34

is a calculation, unless you use

of Medication1-Medication34

to indicate to the data step compiler that this is in fact a variable list. But I don't know if this will work with CATX, and I can't test it here on my tablet.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Ihsan-Mahdi
Quartz | Level 8

Sorry, related to my question this is an example of what I have:

IDMedication1Medication2Medication…Medication34Response1Response2Response….Response34
1XYZWE   
2XYH F   
3ABC GH  
4    MNOR
5    MKLP

and this is what I want:

IDMedicationResponse
1X, Y, Z, WE
2Y, HF
3A, B, CG, H
4 M, N, O, R
5 M, K, L, P
Kurt_Bremser
Super User
Medication1-Medication34

is a calculation, unless you use

of Medication1-Medication34

to indicate to the data step compiler that this is in fact a variable list. But I don't know if this will work with CATX, and I can't test it here on my tablet.

Ihsan-Mahdi
Quartz | Level 8

WOW! This actually worked, thank you so much 🙂

Would it work on numeric values?

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

To use numeric data in character functions, you must make sure that the conversion happens in an orderly manner. Use the PUT function and proper formats to avoid unwanted blanks etc.

ballardw
Super User

Did't work is awful vague.

Are there errors in the log?: Post the code and log in a code box opened with the "<>" to maintain formatting of error messages.

No output? Post any log in a code box.

Unexpected output? Provide input data in the form of data step code pasted into a code box, the actual results and the expected results. Instructions here: https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Communities-Library/How-to-create-a-data-step-version-of-your-dat... will show how to turn an existing SAS data set into data step code that can be pasted into a forum code box using the "<>" icon or attached as text to show exactly what you have and that we can test code against.

Really, the LOG told you pretty much exactly what happens. Here is a very brief example of making a small data set and the using a couple of ways to do what you want and what you did incorrectly:

data example;
  input x1 $ x2 $ x3 $;
datalines;
a b c
p d .
;

data want;
  set example;
  result1 = catx(',', of x:);
  result2 = catx(',', of x1-x3);
  result3 = catx(',',x1-x3);
run;

And here's the Invalid data message that you got from your approach, Result3 above:

80   data want;
81     set example;
82     result1 = catx(',', of x:);
83     result2 = catx(',', of x1-x3);
84     result3 = catx(',',x1-x3);
85   run;

NOTE: Character values have been converted to numeric values at the places given by:
      (Line):(Column).
      84:22   84:25
NOTE: Invalid numeric data, x1='a' , at line 84 column 22.
NOTE: Invalid numeric data, x3='c' , at line 84 column 25.
x1=a x2=b x3=c result1=a,b,c result2=a,b,c result3=. _ERROR_=1 _N_=1
NOTE: Invalid numeric data, x1='p' , at line 84 column 22.
x1=p x2=d x3=  result1=p,d result2=p,d result3=. _ERROR_=1 _N_=2
NOTE: Missing values were generated as a result of performing an operation on missing values.
      Each place is given by: (Number of times) at (Line):(Column).
      2 at 84:24

Large economy sized hints from the Log: First is the character converted to numeric note on the line for Result3.

Then the "invalid numeric" notes for the character values and that only two of them show the conversion. Lastly the "result of performing and operation on missing values" .

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation