BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Vasundha
Calcite | Level 5
12 REPLIES 12
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Using DMY dates in filenames makes this unnecessarily hard, so I recommend to change this to dates in YMD order as a first step. This will make working with your datasets in the future much easier.

Vasundha
Calcite | Level 5
Vasundha
Calcite | Level 5
Vasundha
Calcite | Level 5
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

@Vasundha wrote:
 can't be renamed them.

Bullshit (sorry, but...). You can always improve your data designs, and renaming NOW is little work compared to the hassles you will always have in the future with such STUPID file/dataset names.

If I had tolerated such sub-optimals in my professional life, my time would have been swamped by unnecessary and tedious extra work, keeping me from doing useful things, or finishing them in time (or simply having a beer for celebrating good work done). Correct your design issue NOW, continuing the current state will only cause more work when you finally cannot go on any further with the current situation.

Changing the names once isn't so hard at all:

%let lib=library; /* set your library name here */

data _null_;
call execute("proc datasets lib=&lib.;change");
do date = '01jan2022' to today(); /* you can start here with the earliest date overall */
  olddate = put(date,date9.);
  newdate = put(date,yymmddn8.);
  call execute (" xyz_" !! olddate !! "=xyz_" !! newdate);
end;
call execute(";quit;");
run;

You can use a similar approach to do the appending, but I STRONGLY, STRONGLY, STRONGLY recommend against keeping the current name structure.

Vasundha
Calcite | Level 5
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

Everything that @Kurt_Bremser says. But should you be lucky enough that the Xyz_... "root" name of your tables will only match the tables you want to concatenate then you might get away with below code.

Please note: This will just be a "make it work" but not a clean solution.

/* create sample data */
options dlcreatedir;
libname have "%sysfunc(pathname(work))\have";
data have.Xyz_25MAR2022 have.Xyz_26MAR2022;
  set sashelp.class;
run;

/* create Want table with all daily tables concatenated */
data want;
  set have.Xyz_:;
run;
Vasundha
Calcite | Level 5
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

This is a macro solution:

data xyz_01jan2022;
set sashelp.class;
run;

data xyz_02jan2022;
set sashelp.class;
run;

%let lib=WORK; /* set your library name here */

%macro combine;
data want;
set
%do date = %sysevalf('01jan2022'd) %to %sysfunc(today());
  %let dt = %sysfunc(putn(&date.,date9.));
  %if %sysfunc(exist(&lib..xyz_&dt.))
  %then %do;
  &lib..xyz_&dt.
  %end;
%end;
;
run;
%mend;
%combine

Now compare that to the simplicity of using a wildcard (and add in the fact that YMD dates will always sort properly, so selecting files that are old enough for deleting/archiving or "new" enough for processing is done in a single comparison), and you see how bad the current design is.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation