BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
salvavit
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi all. I am a bit confused about how to handle this situation: 

I have an input table (table A) storing a list of Names, Surnames, IDs, Telephone numbers, Dates of birth and other personal data. This table is ran and updated every day, with new records appended.

From this table, I created another table (table B) containing only IDs and Telephone numbers from table A. This table is likewise updated every day.

What I need to do is to compare the newest version of table A with yesterday's version of table B, i.e. I need to extract the records that have been inserted in table A in the last run. How can I do this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

So where is the old table, anyway? It must exist somewhere in a permanent library.

Create the new tables in WORK, and then compare the WORK table with its counterpart in the permanent library. After that is done, copy the WORK tables to the permanent location.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Keep your tables sorted by ID. Then you can do;

data compare;
merge
  a (in=a keep=id)
  b (in=b keep=id)
;
by id;
if a and not b;
run;

before you update B.

Or, in SQL:

proc sql;
create table compare as
  select a.id
  from a
  where a.id not in (select id from b)
;
quit;
salvavit
Fluorite | Level 6
Thanks for your reply Kurt.
Unfortunately, I think I can't implement your solution. Both table A
and table B are created and defined in the same SAS program in which I
want to perform that comparison. That is, if I were to compare the two
table before B is updated, this would mean that I am comparing Table A
to a table that does not exist yet.
I am quite new in SAS programming so I might be wrong, but I didn't
find any online support documentation on this matter.
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

So where is the old table, anyway? It must exist somewhere in a permanent library.

Create the new tables in WORK, and then compare the WORK table with its counterpart in the permanent library. After that is done, copy the WORK tables to the permanent location.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation