BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
John5
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

Has everyone used Windows Server backup/restore to clone existing SAS servers to new servers together with the Update Host Name Reference tool to update SAS Deployment for migration? Are there any successfully instances? Please also share any cloning software/utilities you are using and your experiences related to Update Host Name Reference tool.

Help will be appreciated.

John

4 REPLIES 4
SASKiwi
PROC Star

It would help if you provided context to your cloning requirement. For example are you cloning for the purpose of creating a Disaster Recovery / Failover environment for your SAS installation or for other reasons?

Also there have been quite a few posts on this topic so you will find it useful to search using the word clone to find these, particularly in the Administration and Deployment Community.

John5
Calcite | Level 5

Due to data center tech refresh, we need to clone and migrate the existing VMs from old infra to new infra.  There will be also a need to change all the host names and IP addresses.  I am checking whether there are any successful instances for cloning tools together with SAS Update Host Name Reference tool.  What are the cloning tools used?  Can I used Windows Server backup and restore as the cloning tool?

SASKiwi
PROC Star

We have never done any server cloning even for DR purposes as it has been easier just to reinstall. We have used Comvault backups and restores, but only to the same Windows Server server. In theory it should work as long as you keep the two environments as similar as possible. SAS provides a tool for host renaming although I've never used it myself. What SAS version are you using? The more recent the version the better.

It would be worth engaging with SAS Tech Support on this too.

John5
Calcite | Level 5

I have engaged Technical Support (TS) on this. TS asked me to reach out to the SAS Community and see if there are any other users who have done before.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation