BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
osmelbrito
Obsidian | Level 7

I have a Azure synapse SQL Pool where I have to insert data using SAS

libname bet sqlsvr datasrc="BET" user=datanalitica password="XXXXXX" schema="BET" 
USE_ODBC_CL=YES insertbuff=30000 insert_sql=yes autocommit=yes stringdates=yes ;

I successfully connect to the database, but when I try to insert data using proc append

proc append base=bet.DIM_RAMO_FINANZAS () data=W_DIM_RAMO_FINANZAS nowarn ;
run;

It only inserts the first record of the dataset even though in log proc append shows that added all records

SQLSRV_4: Prepared: on connection 2
INSERT INTO "BET"."DIM_RAMO_FINANZAS" 
("RAMO_FINANZAS_CD","FILIAL_GRUPO_SK","RAMO_FINANZAS_NM","RAMO_FINANZAS_DESC","TIPO_RAMO_CD","ORDEN_RAMO_ID","PROCESSED_DTTM")  
VALUES ( ? , ? , ? , ? , ? , ? , ? )

NOTE: There were 23 observations read from the data set WORK.W_DIM_RAMO_FINANZAS.
NOTE: 23 observations added.
NOTE: The data set BET.DIM_RAMO_FINANZAS has . observations and 7 variables.

SQLSRV_5: Executed: on connection 2
Prepared statement SQLSRV_4

Summary Statistics for SQLSVR are:
Total SQL execution seconds were:                   0.140779
3                                                          The SAS System                          14:22 Thursday, September 1, 2022

Total SQL prepare seconds were:                     0.000061
Total SQL describe seconds were:                    0.049702
Total seconds used by the SQLSVR ACCESS engine were     0.281108

I have SAS 9.4 M6

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
osmelbrito
Obsidian | Level 7

I just opened a support track and the solution they found was not use USE_ODBC_CL parameter or setting to NO

after this, with this libname

libname bet sqlsvr datasrc="BET" user=datanalitica password=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX schema="BET" USE_ODBC_CL=NO insertbuff=30000

insertion of full records works perfect 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
osmelbrito
Obsidian | Level 7
I just tried using proc sql and insert, and it happens the same, it only insert first record
SASKiwi
PROC Star

This looks like a problem best suited to SAS Tech Support. You could try setting DBCOMMIT to 0 to enforce a single commit for the inserts. 

libname bet sqlsvr datasrc="BET" user=datanalitica password="XXXXXX" schema="BET" USE_ODBC_CL=YES insertbuff=30000 dbcommit = 0
                   insert_sql=yes autocommit=yes stringdates=yes
                   ;
osmelbrito
Obsidian | Level 7

I just tried different values of inserbuff and dbcommit and it does not work (including recommendation dbcommit=0)

When I used insertbuff=1 it works. But, it is supposed that this parameter increase speed for insertion? if I use 1, massive insertions could be slow?

SASKiwi
PROC Star

I think you are correct - using INSERTBUFF = 1 as a workaround isn't likely to be very efficient. As already mentioned raising this with Tech Support is your best option.

osmelbrito
Obsidian | Level 7

I just opened a support track and the solution they found was not use USE_ODBC_CL parameter or setting to NO

after this, with this libname

libname bet sqlsvr datasrc="BET" user=datanalitica password=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX schema="BET" USE_ODBC_CL=NO insertbuff=30000

insertion of full records works perfect 

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

So the explanation of that options is just as clear as mud to me.

https://documentation.sas.com/doc/en/pgmsascdc/9.4_3.5/acreldb/p0nhsktrtipxw9n1p8ypfk9vq6fk.htm

But it does tend to make sense that there should not be any need to use "block cursors", whatever the heck that means, for a simple insert.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation