BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Has anyone figured out how to teach Microsoft collaboration tools Teams/Sharepoint/OneDrive how to display the contents of SAS files in the browser?

Here is link the microsoft page.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-onedrive-blog/new-file-viewers-for-onedrive-sharepo...

It should be possible to teach it that .sas files are just text files.

What about sas7bdat files?  Could we somehow get it to call the SAS universal viewer?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

These previewer apps are called "file handlers", and they are basically mini apps that have to be built and registered with Azure Active Directory -- either in your enterprise or as part of what Microsoft provides.  Existing applications like SAS Universal Viewer or the SAS program editor (for color-coding of SAS code) wouldn't work because they aren't implemented in the right tech (these run on your desktop), but theoretically it's possible to build simplified versions of these to serve the purpose.  I found the documentation here.

This would have to be something that SAS builds, and then (ideally) works with Microsoft to make it universally available.  I like it as an idea...but can't make a promise as to whether or when it might happen.  I will talk it up internally here.

Check out SAS Innovate on-demand content! Watch the main stage sessions, keynotes, and over 20 technical breakout sessions!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ballardw
Super User

I don't know if this will help.

I work in a Windows 10 environment with all of my permanent SAS data sets and code files on One-drive.

All of the below references usage from Windows Explorer.

Without doing anything special the associations maintained by Windows displays the files using the same "right click" to display the menu and select activity. I had associated .SAS files with NotePad and WordPad as "other applications" prior to the move to One-drive and they maintained that association. So I can right click and select "open with" WordPad.

I did that by using the menu to select Open with (not OPEN) and then selecting another application than the default.

I have never bothered to play with the associations for the data files but I suspect the same approach would work.

With the headaches of default OPEN and the Windows registry plus all of the associations controlled by the SAS Deployment Manager or Configuration Manager (which my IT staff has disabled) I don't know if a default could be set and stay otherwise.

I don't have any SAS files on Sharepoint anywhere so no ideas there.

I haven't had any luck trying to set file associations for web browsers but then I didn't really spend a lot of time though I did try to find a way for program files to be treated as plain text a time or two.

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

These previewer apps are called "file handlers", and they are basically mini apps that have to be built and registered with Azure Active Directory -- either in your enterprise or as part of what Microsoft provides.  Existing applications like SAS Universal Viewer or the SAS program editor (for color-coding of SAS code) wouldn't work because they aren't implemented in the right tech (these run on your desktop), but theoretically it's possible to build simplified versions of these to serve the purpose.  I found the documentation here.

This would have to be something that SAS builds, and then (ideally) works with Microsoft to make it universally available.  I like it as an idea...but can't make a promise as to whether or when it might happen.  I will talk it up internally here.

Check out SAS Innovate on-demand content! Watch the main stage sessions, keynotes, and over 20 technical breakout sessions!