BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
I have a cassette of two sides the capacity of each side is 30 minutes ,and i want to record 8 pieces(songs) on it ,so that the difference between the time recorded on both sides is small as possible and represents an integer .
the time of each piece is as follows respectivley:
8 , 3 , 5 , 5 , 9 , 6 , 7 ,12

please i need a solution using LINDO for this problem as quick as possible
This is an integer problem
7 REPLIES 7
Matthew_Galati
SAS Employee
If you want a solution using LINDO, why are you writing to a SAS/OR forum? If you want help using OPTMODEL, let us know.
RAAgnew
Calcite | Level 5
You don't need SAS or LINDO for this. This problem is trivially solved using the Excel Solver. Solution is Side1: 1, 3, 5, 6 (time = 28) and Side2: 2, 4, 7, 8 (time = 27). Minimum time difference = 1.
deleted_user
Not applicable
yes i know i could use excel but i need to solve it using lindo .
i have a purpose for that and thanks
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Recommend searching the Internet, however you will need to open up your search arguments, based on a cursory search I performed. Possibly the Google search argument string may help get you started, now a month later than your original post as I noticed:

lingo lindo systems analysis time occupancy modeling

Good luck in your quest.

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.
deleted_user
Not applicable
Hi OR fanatics!

I saw your discussion about the distribution problem of songs on cassettes and of course
it triggered me to find a solution:
I don't think this needs excel or LINDO but it is to be solved with a kind of dynamic programming
Solution is Side1: 5, 6, 8, 9 (time = 28) and Side2: 12, 3, 5, 7 (time = 27).
The difference is 1
By the way the proposed solution
Side1: 1, 3, 5, 6 (time = 28) and Side2: 2, 4, 7, 8 (time = 27).
may be not a feasible (valid) solution because there are no songs with length 1 ,lenght 2 and lenght 4
but if you can cut the songs it is.

Kind Regards,
Fred
P.S By the way I am looking for an OR position,
where you are faced with problems like these...so if anybody knows a possibility...
please let me know!.. Message was edited by: Fred
RAAgnew
Calcite | Level 5
In my solution, those are song indices, not times. Your solution is identical. Bob Agnew
RAAgnew
Calcite | Level 5
Just to clear the air, my Excel Solver solution is available for download at
http://home.comcast.net/~raagnew/Downloads/Song_Assignment.xls. Bob Agnew

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation