BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
jdemaio
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

I've playing around with Proc OptGraph recently.  I have a data set consisting of district representatives in CA and the committees that they serve on.  Here are the first 10 observations sorted by committee assignment.

Obs    District    Name    Committee Assignment
1    16th    Costa, Jim    Agriculture
2    10th    Denham, Jeff    Agriculture
3    1st    LaMalfa, Doug    Agriculture
4    20th    Panetta, Jimmy    Agriculture
5    31st    Aguilar, Pete    Appropriations
6    42nd    Calvert, Ken    Appropriations
7    13th    Lee, Barbara    Appropriations
8    40th    Roybal-Allard, Lucille    Appropriations
9    21st    Valadao, David    Appropriations
10    24th    Carbajal, Salud    Armed Services

I've analyzed the bipartite graph whose nodes come from the name and committee assignment variables. Edges appear from name to committee assignment if that member serves on said committee. 

I now want to create a new graph whose nodes are the names and an edge exists between two names if they sit on a common committee. For example, Agriculture will generate 4 choose 2= 6 edges in the new graph, one of which is Costa-Denham.  So, I want to create a new data set from my current data set with two variables:rep1 and rep2.   I think that I want to use nested for loops to check committee assignment for every pair of observations and if they match then output the observation names into my new data set as rep1 and rep2. My first 7 observations in the new data set would be:

Obs rep1 rep2

1  Costa Denham

2 Costa LaMalfa

3 Costa Panetta

4 Denham LaMalfa

5 Denham Panetta

6. LaMalfa Panetta

7 Aguilar Calvert

What I don't know how to do, if possible in SAS, is look at the specific entries in observations to compare and then write to a new data set.  Suggestions?

Thanks,

Joe

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RobPratt
SAS Super FREQ
proc optmodel;
   set <str,str> ARCS;
   read data bipartite into ARCS=[Name CommitteeAssignment];
   create data outdata from [rep1 rep2]=(setof {<n1,c> in ARCS, <n2,(c)> in ARCS: n1 < n2} <n1,n2>);
quit;

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
RobPratt
SAS Super FREQ
proc optmodel;
   set <str,str> ARCS;
   read data bipartite into ARCS=[Name CommitteeAssignment];
   create data outdata from [rep1 rep2]=(setof {<n1,c> in ARCS, <n2,(c)> in ARCS: n1 < n2} <n1,n2>);
quit;
jdemaio
Calcite | Level 5

Works perfectly.

Thanks!

Joe

RobPratt
SAS Super FREQ

And here's another approach that uses PROC OPTGRAPH:

data names(keep=node source);
   set bipartite(rename=(name=node));
   source = 1;
run;
proc optgraph links=bipartite data_nodes_sub=names;
   links_var from=Name to=CommitteeAssignment;
   shortpath out_weights=outdata(rename=(source=rep1 sink=rep2) where=(rep1 < rep2 and path_weight=2));
run;
RobPratt
SAS Super FREQ

And another way with PROC SQL:

proc sql;
   create table outdata as
   select a.Name as rep1, b.Name as rep2
   from bipartite as a full outer join bipartite as b
   on a.CommitteeAssignment = b.CommitteeAssignment
   where rep1 < rep2;
quit;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation