BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
Hi,

I was reading the white paper with the latest in SAS-OR. I understood that the software has been improved considerably with regards to performance, scalability, front end, etc. Has there been any benchmarking studies performed lately with the existing LP/MIP/NLP solvers like CPLEX/ MINOS, etc? If yes, can I request a copy of the same. If not, could you provide a comparison.

Thanks.
Very Respectfully,
Jay
2 REPLIES 2
Matthew_Galati
SAS Employee
We cannot directly compare against other solvers since we do not have a license. From public domain benchmarks, after adjusting approximately for different hardware, we seem to be very competitive with the best of breed. In some cases, we are worse; in other cases we are better.
deleted_user
Not applicable
it's definitely not as fast as CPLEX (keep in mind that CPLEX is in its 11th or 12th interation, SAS/OR is on it's first)

approx 270,000 decision points takes about 45 minutes to solve (LP) <--- majority of the time is processing the data tables, actual CPU time is probably less than a minute.

MIPs are obviously going to take forever to solve, however you can tweak that by setting your gap to 0.001 or 0.01 (depending on the situation of course)

try it, it's actually much more user friendly and flexible than CPLEX or any of those Minos/OPL type...

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation