BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
AAZ
Fluorite | Level 6 AAZ
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi Folks, 

I am new to Sas trying to solve below simple facility location, Please advice what I am missing,

DataWgtXY
Boston42510080
Providence3208640
Springfield2202060

Proc optmodel;

set city = {'BO','PR','SP'};
set Geo = {'X','Y'};

number Cor{city,Geo} =[100 80 86 40 20 60];

number Wgt{City}=[425 320 220];

var x{city,Geo} integer >= 0;
var y{city,Geo} integer >= 0;

Minimize MinWgtDis = sum{i in City}sum {j in Geo}
(sqrt((cor[i,j] - x[i,j])^2 + (cor[i,j] - y[i,j])^2 ))* Wgt[i];
/*
con x{i in city,j in Geo}: X[i,j]<=200;
con y{i in city,j in Geo}: y[i,j]<=200;*/

solve;

print MinWgtDis x y;
quit;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RobPratt
SAS Super FREQ

You can use the EXPAND statement to see how the objective function you defined gets populated:

Var x >= 0                                                                                
Var y >= 0                                                                                
Minimize MinWgtDis=SQRT((-x + 100)**2 + (-y + 100)**2)*425 + SQRT((-x + 80)**2 + (-y + 80)
**2)*425 + SQRT((-x + 86)**2 + (-y + 86)**2)*320 + SQRT((-x + 40)**2 + (-y + 40)**2)*320  
 + SQRT((-x + 20)**2 + (-y + 20)**2)*220 + SQRT((-x + 60)**2 + (-y + 60)**2)*220          

You can see that the formula for MinWgtDis is not really what you intended.  Here's a modification of your code that instead does what you want:

Proc optmodel;
set Geo = {'Xi','Yi'};
number Cor{city,Geo} =[100 80 86 40 20 60];
number Wgt{city}=[425 320 220];
var x {Geo} >= 0 ;

Minimize MinWgtDis = sum{i in city} sqrt(sum {j in Geo} (cor[i,j] - x[j])^2)* Wgt[i];

solve;
print MinWgtDis x;
quit;

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
RobPratt
SAS Super FREQ

Here's one way to solve it as an unconstrained problem with nonlinear objective and two variables:

data indata;
   input city $12. Wgt X Y;
   datalines;
Boston      425 100  80
Providence  320  86  40
Springfield 220  20  60
;

proc sgplot data=indata;
   bubble x=x y=y size=wgt / datalabel=city;
run;

proc optmodel;
   set <str> CITIES;
   num wgt {CITIES};
   num xc {CITIES};
   num yc {CITIES};
   read data indata into CITIES=[city] wgt xc=x yc=y;

var X, Y;

min MinWgtDis = sum {i in CITIES} (sqrt((xc[i] - X)^2 + (yc[i] - Y)^2)) * wgt[i];

solve;
   print MinWgtDis X Y;
   create data sganno from function='text' drawspace='datavalue' label='facility' x1=X y1=Y;
quit;

proc sgplot data=indata sganno=sganno;
   bubble x=x y=y size=wgt / datalabel=city;
run;

The resulting plot provides a sanity check on the optimal solution returned.

AAZ
Fluorite | Level 6 AAZ
Fluorite | Level 6

Wow, that's super! Thanks

I am trying to solve it without defining data table, started to get some numbers but am still missing something, can you help me figuring out the error. I think coz I don't have a seperate variable for Xi and Yi it's not working right

Proc optmodel;

set Geo = {'Xi','Yi'};

var x >= 0 ;
var y >= 0;

Minimize MinWgtDis = sum{i in city} sum {j in Geo}
((sqrt((cor[i,j] - x)^2 + (cor[i,j] - y)^2 ))* Wgt[i]);

solve;

print MinWgtDis x y ;

quit;

RobPratt
SAS Super FREQ

You can use the EXPAND statement to see how the objective function you defined gets populated:

Var x >= 0                                                                                
Var y >= 0                                                                                
Minimize MinWgtDis=SQRT((-x + 100)**2 + (-y + 100)**2)*425 + SQRT((-x + 80)**2 + (-y + 80)
**2)*425 + SQRT((-x + 86)**2 + (-y + 86)**2)*320 + SQRT((-x + 40)**2 + (-y + 40)**2)*320  
 + SQRT((-x + 20)**2 + (-y + 20)**2)*220 + SQRT((-x + 60)**2 + (-y + 60)**2)*220          

You can see that the formula for MinWgtDis is not really what you intended.  Here's a modification of your code that instead does what you want:

Proc optmodel;
set Geo = {'Xi','Yi'};
var x {Geo} >= 0 ;

Minimize MinWgtDis = sum{i in city} sqrt(sum {j in Geo} (cor[i,j] - x[j])^2)* Wgt[i];

solve;
print MinWgtDis x;
quit;

AAZ
Fluorite | Level 6 AAZ
Fluorite | Level 6

how to use the expand statment to see how the function is populated ?

RobPratt
SAS Super FREQ

What I showed above came from the simplest invocation, which expands the whole model:

expand;

But you can also expand just the objective as follows:

expand MinWgtDis;

The full documentation for the EXPAND statement is here:

http://go.documentation.sas.com/?docsetId=ormpug&docsetVersion=14.2&docsetTarget=ormpug_optmodel_syn...

AAZ
Fluorite | Level 6 AAZ
Fluorite | Level 6

I actually added two addional lines, but when I write expand, it expands only the optmization formula 

number SumCOG = sum(of Wgt[*]);

number xcog{geo} = sum{i in city} (sum{j in Geo} (Wgt[i]/SumCOG)*cor[i,j]);
expand ;

XCOG is not calculated right and want  trace it, but it doesn't show up in the expand result.

RobPratt
SAS Super FREQ

EXPAND does not apply here, but you can use the PRINT statement to inspect parts of your expression.  For example,

print SumCOG;

returns the correct value 965.

The issue with your NUM declaration is that you have used Geo both as an index set on the left-hand side and as a summation index set on the right-hand side.  I think what you intended is this:

num xcog{j in geo} = sum{i in city} ((Wgt[i]/SumCOG)*cor[i,j]);
print xcog;

SAS Output

[1] xcog
Xi 77.119
Yi 62.176

By the way, the value of MinWgtDis is higher than the minimum value returned by the solver, which you can confirm as follows:

for {j in Geo} x[j] = xcog[j];
print MinWgtDis;
AAZ
Fluorite | Level 6 AAZ
Fluorite | Level 6

that's extremly helpful Rob,I need to work on the summation notation. 

when you added 

"for {j in Geo} x[j] = xcog[j];
print MinWgtDis;"

it means untill j holds a value, go back and use the new xcog instead of x  to calculate the minimum cost, right ?

and to print each and every indvidual X,Y, not the summed one.

I have to put this"sqrt(sum {j in Geo} (cor[i,j] - x[j])^2)* Wgt[i];"  in  avariable and then print it

RobPratt
SAS Super FREQ

The FOR loop sets x[j] to xcog[j] for each j in Geo.  The subsequent PRINT statement prints the new value of MinWgtDis, which gets automatically updated whenever any part of its definition gets updated.

A good source for learning about PROC OPTMODEL is SAS/OR 14.2 User's Guide: Mathematical Programming Examples.

AAZ
Fluorite | Level 6 AAZ
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you rob

AAZ
Fluorite | Level 6 AAZ
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi Rob,

I added this code to your solution, it works fine, is there is a better way to do ?

/*Calculating CoG Coordinates */
num SumCOG = sum(of Wgt[*]);
for {i in CITIES} X = sum{i in CITIES} (Wgt[i]*xc[i])/SumCOG ;
for {i in CITIES} Y = sum{i in CITIES} (Wgt[i]*yc[i])/SumCOG ;

print MinWgtDis SumCOG X Y;
expand;

RobPratt
SAS Super FREQ

The FOR loop over CITIES is unnecessary, and you are performing the exact same calculation multiple times.  Instead, you can just do this:

X = sum{i in CITIES} (Wgt[i]*xc[i])/SumCOG ;
Y = sum{i in CITIES} (Wgt[i]*yc[i])/SumCOG ;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation