BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
htst1003
Calcite | Level 5

Hi, I am very beginner in SAS. I have date variable and  'daily COVID cases' variable.

When I make sgplot (xaxis=date and yaxis=# of cases), I only get a few tick marks on x axis. I want to add tick marks for each day. I have been searching to solve this problem for 4 days but none of article worked or I couldn't understand their explanations.....again I am very beginner, please explain basic details if you can.. Thank you so much.

This is my code. 

What should be fixed?

proc sgplot data=after;
series x=date y=New_cases_fu;
xaxis interval=day label=' ' values=('08JUL2020'd to '16sep2020'd by 1) ;
yaxis label=" New cases";
RUN;

Screen Shot 2021-05-17 at 6.27.15 PM.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

With your apparent current format if you managed to get all those tick marks you would have a LOT of collisions of text.

Daily tick marks over a period of more than 30 day are really overkill and tend to create messy axis appearance.

You can use VALUESROTATE=vertical  on the xaxis statement toreduce collision and maybe

values=('08JUL2020'd to '16sep2020'd by day)

change the format to something like format date date7. to use less text as well.

Personally I would likely use a "by week" as your data shows a very typical weekly sort of cycle where some data is likely postponed and reported on the next day (Probably a Monday)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ballardw
Super User

With your apparent current format if you managed to get all those tick marks you would have a LOT of collisions of text.

Daily tick marks over a period of more than 30 day are really overkill and tend to create messy axis appearance.

You can use VALUESROTATE=vertical  on the xaxis statement toreduce collision and maybe

values=('08JUL2020'd to '16sep2020'd by day)

change the format to something like format date date7. to use less text as well.

Personally I would likely use a "by week" as your data shows a very typical weekly sort of cycle where some data is likely postponed and reported on the next day (Probably a Monday)

htst1003
Calcite | Level 5

OMG......!! It worked. I am so happy and thankful!

It is funny how it easily works when I know what to do. I spend 4 days with this problem, and I am frustrated with my skill.

If it is okay, how can I increase me skill in SAS, does anyone have a good advise? Should I read a book, or do a lot of projects? where can I practice SAS gradually? 

I really want to be good at this but I don't know where to start...

ballardw
Super User

@htst1003 wrote:

OMG......!! It worked. I am so happy and thankful!

It is funny how it easily works when I know what to do. I spend 4 days with this problem, and I am frustrated with my skill.

If it is okay, how can I increase me skill in SAS, does anyone have a good advise? Should I read a book, or do a lot of projects? where can I practice SAS gradually? 

I really want to be good at this but I don't know where to start...

There are free training courses available.

The documentation for many procedures show at least the basics: https://documentation.sas.com/?cdcId=pgmsascdc&cdcVersion=9.4_3.4&docsetId=pgmsashome&docsetTarget=h...

you can even search for topics.

Graphing examples with data: https://support.sas.com/en/knowledge-base/graph-samples-gallery.html

I started with SAS before the internet was much of an issue. I had access to a stack of documentation books about 2 feet thick. I used them. A lot.

Start with one of the examples. Try options available in the documentation for procedures or statements and see what the result is.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation