BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
SASuserlot
Barite | Level 11

I am trying to create Vbar histrogram chart using SGPLOT.  I am having difficulty in adjusting the patterns and colors for the Bars.   I am looking if ' trt=1" Data Bar as 'Grey filled  and any Pattern" and other one as 'Solid filled black color' . Thank you for your suggestions. I tried some codes using SAS documentation but not able to achieve it.

data have;
input visit$  trt$  pct crit ;
datalines;
visit1      1      	15         	1 
visit1      1    	20       	2
visit1      1   	30      	3
visit1      2    	14         	1 
visit1      2     	25         	2
visit1      2     	21         	3
;
run;
ods graphics on/ width=8 in height=4 in   ;
ods html;
proc sgplot data=have;
*styleattrs datacolors=(black grey) ;
	vbar crit / response=pct group=trt groupdisplay=cluster
				  fillpattern nofill clusterwidth=0.7;*fillpatternattrs=(pattern=r1 )fillpattern nofill 	;
	  xaxis display=(nolabel);
	  yaxis grid;
run;
ods listing close;
ods _all_ close;

Sample of Bars ( highlighted)

SASuserlot_0-1659036603737.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DanH_sas
SAS Super FREQ

@Reeza is correct -- we do not currently support fill patterns in discrete attribute maps. Therefore, we have to take a "positional" approach here.

First, make sure your data is sorted by "trt". Next, set both the DATACOLORS and DATACONTRASTCOLORS on the STYLESATTRS statement to account for each value of "trt". For each "patterned" bar, set the DATACOLOR to be white. The black solid bar should be set to black. For the DATACONTRASTCOLORS (which affects the lines), set the first color to grey and the second color to black (effectively giving you a solid black bar). Now, for each value of "trt" set a pattern in DATAFILLPATTERNS (the pattern for the black bars does not matter, as it will disappear).

Screen Shot 2022-07-28 at 4.49.50 PM.png

data have;
datalines;
visit1      1       20          2
visit1      1       30          3
visit1      2       14         	1 
visit1      2       25          2
visit1      2       21          3
;
run;
ods html;
proc sgplot data=have;
styleattrs datacolors=(white black) datacontrastcolors=(grey black) datafillpatterns=(r1 r1);
	vbar crit / response=pct group=trt groupdisplay=cluster fillpattern clusterwidth=0.7;
    xaxis display=(nolabel);
    yaxis grid;
run;

Hope this helps!

Dan

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
Reeza
Super User
FYI I moved your post to the graphics forum.
Note that you can use a Discrete Attribute Map but I don't see a way to control the fillpattern with the map so may need both approaches.

Example in docs is similar to yours for colour
https://documentation.sas.com/doc/en/pgmsascdc/9.4_3.5/grstatproc/n18szqcwir8q2nn10od9hhdh2ksj.htm
SASuserlot
Barite | Level 11

Thank you @Reeza . I think I messed up the section.  thank you for your reference. I will look into the reference.

DanH_sas
SAS Super FREQ

@Reeza is correct -- we do not currently support fill patterns in discrete attribute maps. Therefore, we have to take a "positional" approach here.

First, make sure your data is sorted by "trt". Next, set both the DATACOLORS and DATACONTRASTCOLORS on the STYLESATTRS statement to account for each value of "trt". For each "patterned" bar, set the DATACOLOR to be white. The black solid bar should be set to black. For the DATACONTRASTCOLORS (which affects the lines), set the first color to grey and the second color to black (effectively giving you a solid black bar). Now, for each value of "trt" set a pattern in DATAFILLPATTERNS (the pattern for the black bars does not matter, as it will disappear).

Screen Shot 2022-07-28 at 4.49.50 PM.png

data have;
datalines;
;
run;
ods html;
proc sgplot data=have;
styleattrs datacolors=(white black) datacontrastcolors=(grey black) datafillpatterns=(r1 r1);
	vbar crit / response=pct group=trt groupdisplay=cluster fillpattern clusterwidth=0.7;
    xaxis display=(nolabel);
    yaxis grid;
run;

Hope this helps!

Dan

SASuserlot
Barite | Level 11

Thank you @DanH_sas   for detailed explanation. This served my requirement. However I have one question for my knowledge purpose.

1.  Just curious. Is there any option in 'styleattr' that will change the outline of the bar ( I mean border of the bar)? Like if If I wanna change to Red border. 

SASuserlot_0-1659044268209.png

DanH_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Turning off the fill patterns on the bar charge and changing the "grey" to "red" in the DATACONTRASTCOLORS will give you that result.Now, that being said, dropping the fill patterns opens up the possibility of using discrete attribute maps (mentioned by @Reeza), which is normally more desirable than depending on data positions. For an example of these attribute maps, see page 9 of a style paper I did a while back (https://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings17/SAS0675-2017.pdf).

Screen Shot 2022-07-28 at 5.48.57 PM.png

SASuserlot
Barite | Level 11

Thank you. Really appreciate your help.

ballardw
Super User

You show only two levels of TRT in the example. Is that the actual case of your data or do you have more levels? This is important as if there are more than 2 levels this leaves a lot of information out: "if ' trt=1" Data Bar as 'Grey filled and any Pattern" and other one as 'Solid filled black color'" . When you start specifying descriptions you should for all the values of the variable.

SASuserlot
Barite | Level 11

Thank you for your response. Yes for now I only have only two levels.

SASuserlot
Barite | Level 11

This is called Experience and smartness( which I am trying to achieve). @ballardw When you asked this question, I was not sure I would be needed to do more than two categories of trt.

Here I come up with a scenario where our people want specific patterns in 5 different groups ( I feel stupid 😂that I should have continued with your question and gotten an answer when I posted this initially).

I used @DanH_sas  code to generate a basic graph.

1. How can I control the patterns as in small snippets in the order of 'cat.'  order of cat is 1( white), 2( grey with black),.... 5( black filled).

SASuserlot_0-1682696716787.png

2. I want to learn how I can place the 'cat 'legend in Vertical instead of horizontally

3. can we Place the legend  as two columns X 3 rows kind ..with 'cat'

4. Control the y-axis automatically based on the highest values and round to the nearest number ending with '0' ( depends on the interval, but in my case interval is 20 between two values on the axis).

Example: in my data, cat 5 has the highest  pct  = 88, so I want my y-axis maximum to  be 100

@DanH_sas @ballardw @Reeza  I really appreciate if you can shed some light on this.

data have;
input visit$  cat$  pct crit ;
datalines;
visit1      3       41         	1 
visit1      3       25          2
visit1      3       48         	3
visit1      4       14         	1 
visit1      4       74          2
visit1      4       21          3
visit1      5       78        	1 
visit1      5       25          2
visit1      5       88          3

;
run;
ods graphics on/ width=8 in height=4 in border =off   ;
ods html;
proc sgplot data=have;
styleattrs datacolors=(white black) datacontrastcolors=(grey black) datafillpatterns=(r1 r2);
	vbar crit / response=pct group=cat groupdisplay=cluster fillpattern clusterwidth=0.7;
    xaxis display=(nolabel);
    yaxis grid;
run;

SASuserlot_0-1682697660932.png

DanH_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Unfortunately, we do not currently have pattern support in the discrete attribute map functionality. However, the GTL program below should give you what you want, provided that "cat" is in sorted order:

proc template;
define statgraph barchart;
begingraph / datacontrastolors=(white grey lightgrey grey black) datacolors=(white) 
             datafillpatterns=(S L2 S S S) attrpriority=none;
layout overlay / xaxisopts=(display=(ticks tickvalues line)) yaxisopts=(griddisplay=on);
   barchart  category=crit response=pct / group=cat Display=all NAME="VBAR" groupdisplay=cluster 
             clusterwidth=0.7 outlineattrs=(color=black);
   DiscreteLegend "VBAR"/ title="cat";
endlayout;
endgraph;
end;
run;

data have;
input visit$  cat$  pct crit ;
datalines;
visit1      3       41         	1
visit1      3       25          2
visit1      3       48         	3
visit1      4       14         	1
visit1      4       74          2
visit1      4       21          3
visit1      5       78        	1
visit1      5       25          2
visit1      5       88          3

;
run;
ods graphics on/ width=8 in height=4 in border =off   ;
ods html;
proc sgrender data=have template=barchart; run;
ods html close;
SASuserlot
Barite | Level 11

Thank you, @DanH_sas  for the quick solution. That's incredible.

Can you please  help on this, as will that I mentioned in a recent post, (I do not have much experience in template)

2. I want to learn how I can place the 'cat 'legend in Vertical instead of horizontally below the graph

3. can we Place the legend  as two columns X 3 rows kind ..with 'cat'

4. Control the y-axis automatically based on the highest values and round to the nearest number ending with '0' ( depends on the interval, but in my case interval is 20 between two values on the axis).

DanH_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Here are the changes to the template:

proc template;
define statgraph barchart;
begingraph / datacontrastolors=(white grey lightgrey grey black) datacolors=(white) 
             datafillpatterns=(S L2 S S S) attrpriority=none;
layout overlay / xaxisopts=(display=(ticks tickvalues line)) yaxisopts=(griddisplay=on linearopts=(thresholdmax=1));
   barchart  category=crit response=pct / group=cat Display=all NAME="VBAR" groupdisplay=cluster 
             clusterwidth=0.7 outlineattrs=(color=black);
   DiscreteLegend "VBAR"/ title="cat" halign=right across=2;
endlayout;
endgraph;
end;
run;
SASuserlot
Barite | Level 11

Thank you, @DanH_sas  it worked for me. The only thing I changed is I used "valign= bottom" as per my requirement in legend (of course I learned "align" concepts from your code). Thanks again.

ballardw
Super User

Might have been a better idea to start a new thread and reference this one.

1. How can I control the patterns as in small snippets in the order of 'cat.' order of cat is 1( white), 2( grey with black),.... 5( black filled).

Sort the data by the Cat variable. Then make sure that the styleattrs overrides are in the order needed. Which means a value for every cat level in each attribute.

2. I want to learn how I can place the 'cat 'legend in Vertical instead of horizontally

Not sure what this means. Have the text run vertically? Have the color/pattern example taller than they are wide? Have the entries stacked above each other?

possibly related:

3. can we Place the legend as two columns X 3 rows kind ..with 'cat'

The KEYLEGEND statement controls appearance of the legend. The options DOWN= and ACROSS=, number of rows and columns can be specified. Note that if you do not specify enough total items, such as Down*Across=4 and there are 5 categories then results are problematic. If you use: Keylegend  /across=1; then you get one column and the items are vertically stacked.

The XAXIS, YAXIS, XAXIS2 and YAXIS2 statements control appearance of axis labels. I'm not sure how "automatic" you expect the result to be. SAS normally does a fair job with regular interval marks. If you don't like those then you can supply a VALUES list. So something like a Values=(0 to 200 by 20) might be a start. Then add the VALUESHINT option. So if the range of values stops at 88 then the tick values will be "reasonable" but may not exactly meet your desire depending on where in the interval the maximum (or minimum) values appear. Or delve into macro language for getting summary values matching the plot data and then use those values to create a macro variable to hold the desired range in a values statement.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 4 in conversation