BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Doug____
Pyrite | Level 9

Has anyone encountered this? What was the solution? The code operated fine then started throwing the exception error.

ERROR: An exception has been encountered.

Please contact technical support and provide them with the following traceback information:

The SAS task name is [SGPANEL (2)]

ERROR: Read Access Violation SGPANEL (2)

Exception occurred at (09135993)

Task Traceback

Address Frame (DBGHELP API Version 4.0 rev 5)

0000000009135993 000000000820B5E0 sassgpan:tkvercn1+0x14953

0000000009157830 000000000820FBF0 sassgpan:tkvercn1+0x367F0

000000000173839B 000000000820FBF8 sashost:Main+0x10F0B

000000000173DFDD 000000000820FF50 sashost:Main+0x16B4D

00007FF9504C13D2 000000000820FF58 KERNEL32:BaseThreadInitThunk+0x22

00007FF952BC54E4 000000000820FF88 ntdll:RtlUserThreadStart+0x34

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

@Doug____ wrote:

Has anyone encountered this? What was the solution? The code operated fine then started throwing the exception error.

If the code worked on a previous data set and the only change was the data then you have something in your data that is very off from what the procedure expects to use.

If the code is only "similar" to other code then you need both an option by option comparison with the working code and to examine the data.

Best would be to provide some example data in the form of a data step and the code that does this. Paste both into a code box opened with the forum's {I} icon.

I have seen some odd things like this when code was pasted into a Word processing document and them copied out for use. The Word processor can change programming symbols like ' to smart quotes that curl such as ‘ which then causes all sorts of interpretation problems. Also word processors (and HTML) can insert characters you can't see without special steps that also cause runtime errors of different types depending on where and what they actually are.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ballardw
Super User

@Doug____ wrote:

If the code worked on a previous data set and the only change was the data then you have something in your data that is very off from what the procedure expects to use.

If the code is only "similar" to other code then you need both an option by option comparison with the working code and to examine the data.

Best would be to provide some example data in the form of a data step and the code that does this. Paste both into a code box opened with the forum's {I} icon.

I have seen some odd things like this when code was pasted into a Word processing document and them copied out for use. The Word processor can change programming symbols like ' to smart quotes that curl such as ‘ which then causes all sorts of interpretation problems. Also word processors (and HTML) can insert characters you can't see without special steps that also cause runtime errors of different types depending on where and what they actually are.

Doug____
Pyrite | Level 9

I think it is a non-printable character issue. There is a macro variable the lead programmer developed and when the macro variable resolves it causes SGPANEL to crash. However, if I type the same values manually, no issues. Thanks!

ballardw
Super User

@Doug____ wrote:

I think it is a non-printable character issue. There is a macro variable the lead programmer developed and when the macro variable resolves it causes SGPANEL to crash. However, if I type the same values manually, no issues. Thanks!

I promise that in 32 years of coding in SAS that I have never ever had a macro variable resolve incorrectly. Really. And if you believe that I have some very nice ocean-front property for sale in Arizona...

Run the code with OPTIONS MPRINT SYMBOLGEN; and see if you can find an errant character in one of the resolved values.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation