BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
CathyHe
Fluorite | Level 6

I tried to add reference line label and X-axis label using drawtext statement in proc template in order to avoid overlapping with X-axis tick value. However the added labels are not displayed correctly which seems due to small space between figure border and x-axis.Could you help me figure out what's wrong with my code?

Here is my code,

/*--Define template--*/
proc template;

define statgraph RefLineLabel ;
begingraph;
entrytitle "";
layout overlay/XAXISOPTS=(linearopts=(viewmax=200) )
YAXISOPTS=(label='Fold increase over baseline');
seriesplot x=studyday y=aval2base / name='a' display=all;
referenceline x=eventday / /*curvelabel=event*/ lineattrs=(color=red pattern=dot)
curvelabellocation=outside CURVELABELPOSITION=auto curvelabelattrs=(color=red);
drawtext textattrs=(color=black size=15) "Days" /Y=0.5 x=50 yspace=graphpercent
xspace=graphpercent width=50 justify=center layer=front;
drawtext textattrs=(color=red size=15) "Adverse event" /Y=-5 x=3 xspace=datavalue yspace=datapercent
rotate=90 anchor=top width=15 justify=center;
endlayout;
endgraph;
end;
run;

/*--Create Graph--*/
proc sgrender data=example template=RefLineLabel;
run;

Here is my figure

捕获.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DanH_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Whether you use DRAWTEXT with GTL or annotation with the SG procedures, the key is what @GraphGuy demonstrates in his example. Since you have the text value rotated you *MUST* also reserve space for the annotation, because the graph will not do that automatically, Think of annotation as an overlay (or underlay) of the actual graph. The PAD option @GraphGuy used with SGPLOT can also be used in GTL to reserve that space.

Hope this helps!

Dan

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
ballardw
Super User

To label the X-axis you will likely be better off using the LABEL= option on the XAXISOPTS so the label text is included in the graph size determination. DRAWTEXT is applied over a graph and space is not allocated so you will likely spend a lot of time with each graph you make trying to force DRAWTEXT to create a nice enough label.

layout overlay/XAXISOPTS=(linearopts=(viewmax=200) label="Days" )

You are most likely specifying the wrong coordinates for the DRAWTEXT for the reference line. You might investigate the CURVELABEL option for the referEnceline statement along with CURVELABELLOCATION=INSIDE and CURVELABELPOSITION

JeffMeyers
Barite | Level 11

I'm looking at the example and I'm not sure why the x-axis label is being suppressed to begin with. The XAXISOPTS doesn't have a DISPLAY option listed, so I would have assumed it would print the x-axis label by default. To add to @ballardw if there is a reason to use drawtext for the label, but you still want the label space to be allocated you can make the x-axis label unbreakable spaces.

proc template;
define statgraph blah;
begingraph;

layout overlay / xaxisopts=(label='A0A0A0'x);
scatterplot x=height y=weight;
drawtext textattrs=(color=black size=15) "days" / y=0 x=50 yspace=layoutpercent xspace=graphpercent width=50 justify=center
   anchor=bottom layer=front;
endlayout;

endgraph;
end;
run;
ods graphics /reset;
proc sgrender data=sashelp.class template=blah;
run;

SGRender.png

ballardw
Super User

@JeffMeyers wrote:

I'm looking at the example and I'm not sure why the x-axis label is being suppressed to begin with. The XAXISOPTS doesn't have a DISPLAY option listed, so I would have assumed it would print the x-axis label by default. To add to @ballardw if there is a reason to use drawtext for the label, but you still want the label space to be allocated you can make the x-axis label unbreakable spaces.

proc template;
define statgraph blah;
begingraph;

layout overlay / xaxisopts=(label='A0A0A0'x);
drawtext textattrs=(color=black size=15) "days" / y=0 x=50 yspace=layoutpercent xspace=graphpercent width=50 justify=center
   anchor=bottom layer=front;
endlayout;

endgraph;
end;
run;
ods graphics /reset;
run;

SGRender.png

What ASCII (or EBCDIC) character are you attempting to show with 'A0A0A0'x?

xaxisopts=(label='45'x) will display an "E" as the label

Please see:

proc template;
define statgraph blah;
begingraph;

layout overlay / xaxisopts=(labelattrs=(color=black size=15pt)label='Days' );
/*drawtext textattrs=(color=black size=15) "days" / y=0 x=50 yspace=layoutpercent xspace=graphpercent width=50 justify=center*/
/*   anchor=bottom layer=front;*/
endlayout;

endgraph;
end;
run;
ods graphics /reset;
run;
JeffMeyers
Barite | Level 11
Hello @ballardw, The 'A0'x is an unbreakable space. This is similar to a space in that it doesn't show anything (it's a blank space), but SAS considers it a character. In situations where a regular space would be ignored by SAS procedures an unbreakable space will be treated like any other character ('A', 'W', anything). In this case, when the label is set to be a blank (e.g. label=' ') I believe SAS ignores it and prints the x variable's label. But with an unbreakable space it leaves it alone so you can add a blank label and still allocate the graph space for it.
CathyHe
Fluorite | Level 6

It still doesn't work when label options for reference line are off. I also tried changing yspace from datapercent to graphpercent in order to diaplay "Adverse event" properly below x-axis, however it doesn't work.

/*--Define template--*/
proc template;

begingraph;
entrytitle "";
seriesplot x=studyday y=aval2base2 / name='a' display=all;
referenceline x=eventday / /*curvelabel=event*/ lineattrs=(color=red pattern=dot)
/*curvelabellocation=outside CURVELABELPOSITION=auto curvelabelattrs=(color=red)*/;
drawtext textattrs=(color=red size=15) "Adverse event" /Y=-5 x=3 xspace=datavalue yspace=graphpercent
endlayout;
endgraph;
end;
run;

/*--Create Graph--*/
run;

捕获.PNG

CathyHe
Fluorite | Level 6

It sitll doesn't work when reference line label option is off.  I also tried changing yspace from datapercent to graphpercent and it didn't work.

/*--Define template--*/
proc template;

begingraph;
entrytitle "";
seriesplot x=studyday y=aval2base2 / name='a' display=all;
/*curvelabellocation=outside CURVELABELPOSITION=auto curvelabelattrs=(color=red)*/;
drawtext textattrs=(color=red size=15) "Adverse event" /Y=-5 x=3 xspace=datavalue yspace=graph捕获.PNGpercent
endlayout;
endgraph;
end;
run;

/*--Create Graph--*/
run;

GraphGuy
Meteorite | Level 14

Perhaps rather than using GTL and proc sgrender, you could use proc sgplot and annotate the label?

Something like this ...

data anno_text;
length label $100 anchor x1space y1space function $50 textcolor $12;
function='text';
x1space='datavalue'; y1space='datapercent';
textcolor='red'; textsize=9; textweight='normal';
width=100; widthunit='percent'; rotate=90;
x1='11sep2001'd; y1=-12; anchor='right'; label='9/11 attack'; output;
run;

title "IBM Stock Price";
proc sgplot data=sashelp.stocks (where=(stock='IBM')) pad=(bottom=20pct) sganno=anno_text;
series y=close x=date / markers;
yaxis display=(nolabel);
xaxis display=(nolabel);
refline '11sep2001'd / axis=x lineattrs=(color=red pattern=dot);
run;

sgplot_anno.png

DanH_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Whether you use DRAWTEXT with GTL or annotation with the SG procedures, the key is what @GraphGuy demonstrates in his example. Since you have the text value rotated you *MUST* also reserve space for the annotation, because the graph will not do that automatically, Think of annotation as an overlay (or underlay) of the actual graph. The PAD option @GraphGuy used with SGPLOT can also be used in GTL to reserve that space.

Hope this helps!

Dan

CathyHe
Fluorite | Level 6

Found the solution finally. It works when adding PAD option! Many thanks!

CathyHe
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you very much! It's a very good solution which inspire me how to reserve a space for annotation!  

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 5 in conversation