BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
martyvd
Fluorite | Level 6

I have created the graph below with SGPLOT and need to increase the spacing between the legend markers and the value labels. I can't find an argument for the keylegend statement that will allow me to do this. Any suggestions? 

graph example.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ghosh
Barite | Level 11

I assigned labels however, I left your code 99% intact but wrapped inside an absolute layout (could use gridded also) and specified the dimension that you can change.  You did not specify the output format so I picked pdf

Untitled.png

data prim_sub_use; set xl.sheet1; 
label 
Alcohol	='^_^_Alcohol^_'
Opiates	='^_^_Opiates^_'
Cocaine	='^_^_Cocaine^_'
Marijuana='^_^_Marijuana/hashish^_'
Methamphetamine_amphetamines='^_Methamphetamine/amphetamines^_'
;
run;
ods escapechar='^';
ods _all_ close;
options nonumber nodate orientation=landscape papersize=letter nocenter
	leftmargin=.5in rightmargin=.5in topmargin=.5in bottommargin=.5in;
ods pdf file="~/img/abuse.pdf" dpi=300 notoc;
ods layout absolute;
ods region x=0in y=0in width=10in;
ods graphics on /noborder height=7.5in width=10in scale=on;
proc sgplot data=prim_sub_use noborder nowall 
		description='Primary substance use at admission, 2007-2017';
	series x=Year y=Alcohol/markers markerattrs=(symbol=CircleFilled 
		color='#0060A9' size=12) lineattrs=(color='#0060A9' thickness=3);
	series x=Year y=Opiates/markers markerattrs=(symbol=TriangleDownFilled size=12 
		color='#ed1c24') lineattrs=(color='#ed1c24' thickness=3 pattern=solid);
	series x=Year y=Cocaine/markers markerattrs=(symbol=SquareFilled 
		color='#ffc222' size=12) lineattrs=(color='#ffc222' thickness=3 
		pattern=solid);
	series x=Year y=Marijuana/markers markerattrs=(symbol=DiamondFilled 
		color='#64c069' size=12) lineattrs=(color='#64c069' thickness=3 
		pattern=solid) ; * legendlabel="Marijuana/hashish";
	series x=Year y=Methamphetamine_amphetamines/markers 
		markerattrs=(symbol=TriangleFilled size=12 color='#00a2e5') 
		lineattrs=(color='#00a2e5' thickness=3 pattern=solid);
	yaxis label='Percent of all admissions aged 12 years and older' VALUES=(0 TO 50 BY 10) offsetmax=0 offsetmin=0;
	xaxis label='Admission Year' VALUES=(2007 TO 2017 BY 1) display=(nolabel 		noticks);
	keylegend/noborder linelength=30;
run;
ods graphics off;
ods layout end;
ods pdf close;
ods _ALL_ CLOSE;

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
WarrenKuhfeld
Ammonite | Level 13

I don't know. I don't remember anything like that. The first thing I would try is adding one or more nonbreaking spaces to the end of the drug name in a DATA step before you run sgplot.

drug = trim(drug) || 'A0'x;

martyvd
Fluorite | Level 6
That syntax deleted the numeric values of my variables, strange.
WarrenKuhfeld
Ammonite | Level 13

If you are using a formatted numeric variable to get your drug names, then you will need to modify the approach accordingly.

martyvd
Fluorite | Level 6
Yes I am using a separate numeric variable for each series on the graph.
JeffMeyers
Barite | Level 11
If your variables are numeric, then you can do something like the following in a data step:

drug2='A0A0'x||strip(vvalue(drug))||'A0A0'x;

Where the number of A0 that you repeat will be the number of non-breaking spaces you add to the value. You would then group by DRUG2 instead of drug.
ballardw
Super User

I might be tempted to try something like

Keylegend / across=3 down=2;

and maybe play around with the LINELENGTH option to see about making the length of the lines shorter.

martyvd
Fluorite | Level 6
That may be an option, but I'd really prefer the legend to all be on 1 line if possible.
ballardw
Super User

@martyvd wrote:
That may be an option, but I'd really prefer the legend to all be on 1 line if possible.

There is only so much space available. If the values are long enough there just is not much space left between the lines.

Did you try anything with the LINELENGTH to shorten the displayed line segments in the legend?

martyvd
Fluorite | Level 6
Yes, decreasing the LINELENGTH value only shortens the line segments, it does not affect the spacing between the line segments and the labels.
Jay54
Meteorite | Level 14
You may want to consider why you want to increase the space between the
chicklet and the label. As Rick suggested, you would have to add a NBSP
space before each value of group values to add some white space.

Or, if you want to make the legend more bolder, you can use KEYLEGEND
options to adjust the size of the chicklets - FILLASPECT, FILLHEIGHT, SCALE.
martyvd
Fluorite | Level 6
I tried adding a space to the variables using Jeff's code, but the graph was blank when I used the new variables.
Jay54
Meteorite | Level 14

The NBSP suggestion originally came from Warren.  Sorry about the incorrect attribution.

Also, my suggested usage of KEYLEGEND options may be more applicable for filled chicklets.

ghosh
Barite | Level 11

I am sure it can be done.  Can you share your code and data (dummied up if it's confidential)

martyvd
Fluorite | Level 6

proc sgplot data=prim_sub_use noborder nowall description='Primary substance use at admission, 2007-2017';
series x=Year y=Alcohol/markers markerattrs=(symbol=CircleFilled color='#0060A9' size=12) lineattrs=(color='#0060A9' thickness=3);
series x=Year y=Opiates/markers markerattrs=(symbol=TriangleDownFilled size=12 color='#ed1c24') lineattrs=(color='#ed1c24' thickness=3 pattern=solid);
series x=Year y=Cocaine/markers markerattrs=(symbol=SquareFilled color='#ffc222' size=12) lineattrs=(color='#ffc222' thickness=3 pattern=solid);
series x=Year y=Marijuana/markers markerattrs=(symbol=DiamondFilled color='#64c069' size=12) lineattrs=(color='#64c069' thickness=3 pattern=solid) legendlabel="Marijuana/hashish";
series x=Year y=Methamphetamine_amphetamines/markers markerattrs=(symbol=TriangleFilled size=12 color='#00a2e5') lineattrs=(color='#00a2e5' thickness=3 pattern=solid);
yaxis label='Percent of all admissions aged 12 years and older' VALUES = (0 TO 50 BY 10) offsetmax=0 offsetmin=0;
xaxis label='Admission Year' VALUES = (2007 TO 2017 BY 1) display=(nolabel noticks);
keylegend/noborder linelength=30;
run;

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 1 like
  • 6 in conversation