BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
YYK273
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi all,

I am wondering how can plot the following figure showing the incidence over time. This figure is from the published paper Zajacova A, Montez JK. Physical Functioning Trends among US Women and Men Age 45-64 by Education Level. Biodemography Soc Biol. 2017;63(1):21-30. doi: 10.1080/19485565.2016.1263150. PMID: 28287310; PMCID: PMC5494255.

I am wondering how to code this kind of figure. I would really appreciate your help.

nihms868018f3.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

The data set should contain a variable for the Xaxis, the Yaxis and a group variable, such as education.

The type of graph would be a Series, if the data has lots of dates for the example, or a Spline to smooth data .

If the data consists of one value per year then likely a Spline. Your SAS install should have the SASHELP.STOCKS data set that would allow you to run the following example:

proc sgplot data=sashelp.stocks;
   title "Series plot of daily opening stock prices";
   series x=date y=open /group=stock ;
run;

proc summary  data=sashelp.stocks nway;
   class stock date;
   format date year4.;
   var open;
   output out=splineplot (drop=_type_ _freq_) mean=;
run;

proc sgplot data=splineplot;
   title "Spline plot of annual average opening stock prices";
   spline x=date y=open /group=stock ;
run;
   title "Series plot of annual average opening stock prices";
run;

The examples show daily data, then summarize the values to one value per year and plot with both a Spline and Series plot. Splines apply smoothing functions to make nicer curves. You see the role of Group variable to create different line types and legend entries to describe the lines.

Read the description of Spline for some details affecting interpretation of the appearance in the online help.

There are many options to control appearance  once you get a basic graph of the type you want.

@YYK273 wrote:

Hi all,

I am wondering how can plot the following figure showing the incidence over time. This figure is from the published paper Zajacova A, Montez JK. Physical Functioning Trends among US Women and Men Age 45-64 by Education Level. Biodemography Soc Biol. 2017;63(1):21-30. doi: 10.1080/19485565.2016.1263150. PMID: 28287310; PMCID: PMC5494255.

I am wondering how to code this kind of figure. I would really appreciate your help.

nihms868018f3.jpg

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

It would certainly help to see a portion of your SAS data set (not an Excel file). Please provide the data as working SAS data step code, as shown in these examples and instructions. Do not provide data in other form. Do not ignore this request.

In general this is done via PROC SGPLOT. Depending on your data, we can be more specific.

--
Paige Miller
YYK273
Obsidian | Level 7
Thank you so much for your reply, and it's very helpful! Since I currently don't have a specific dataset, I will keep working on it. Thank you again!
ballardw
Super User

The data set should contain a variable for the Xaxis, the Yaxis and a group variable, such as education.

The type of graph would be a Series, if the data has lots of dates for the example, or a Spline to smooth data .

If the data consists of one value per year then likely a Spline. Your SAS install should have the SASHELP.STOCKS data set that would allow you to run the following example:

proc sgplot data=sashelp.stocks;
   title "Series plot of daily opening stock prices";
run;

proc summary  data=sashelp.stocks nway;
   class stock date;
   format date year4.;
   var open;
   output out=splineplot (drop=_type_ _freq_) mean=;
run;

title "Spline plot of annual average opening stock prices";
   spline x=date y=open /group=stock ;
run;
   title "Series plot of annual average opening stock prices";
run;

The examples show daily data, then summarize the values to one value per year and plot with both a Spline and Series plot. Splines apply smoothing functions to make nicer curves. You see the role of Group variable to create different line types and legend entries to describe the lines.

Read the description of Spline for some details affecting interpretation of the appearance in the online help.

There are many options to control appearance  once you get a basic graph of the type you want.

@YYK273 wrote:

Hi all,

nihms868018f3.jpg

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation