BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
adnavv
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello,

SAS 9.4 Explorer has been our best tool so far to search for simple keywords in our catalogs. However today, the Find window returns a result which, after checking, is false (there is no occurrence of the keyword 'fda' in R.Regbl.Batiment07_creation.scl) :

2023-02-17 09_07_01-SAS_ Find....jpg

My guess is that a SAS index needs to be refreshed, but how ?

Has anyone experienced the same situation ?

Many thanks for any inputs,

Adnavv

4 REPLIES 4
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

It was quite awhile since I used the search function in DMS SAS.

I don't think there is an index here that needs to be updated manually, this kind of metadata in SAS is available immediately to the SAS session.

If you feel this is a flaw, you might want to engage SAS Tech support, they can guide you how to verify your problem.

Data never sleeps
AllanBowe
Barite | Level 11

Your best bet would be to export all this content from catalogs into text files and keep the source in GIT.  This is much easier to work with, and trivial to search.

It's one of the first things my team does when we embark on SCL Modernisation projects.

/Allan
SAS Challenges - SASensei
MacroCore library for app developers
SAS networking events (BeLux, Germany, UK&I)

Data Workflows, Data Contracts, Data Lineage, Drag & drop excel EUCs to SAS 9 & Viya - Data Controller
DevOps and AppDev on SAS 9 / Viya / Base SAS - SASjs
adnavv
Fluorite | Level 6

Dear Allan,

Thanks for sharing. Unfortunately, our many catalogs contain multiple *.screen (SAS FSP) whose source code cannot be automatically extracted (see this discussion). So far, the only way we have to reach the source code of these *.screen (for eg: to look up for the occurence of a libname), is to run each application and browse the source code of each of their screens (mod command).

As per illustration :

2023-02-17 13_43_11-Reply to Message - SAS Support Communities et 10 pages de plus - Profil 1 – Micr.jpg

2023-02-17 13_35_36-SAS2_ FSBROWSE WORK.GESCO-Obs 1  Screen 1.jpg

2023-02-17 13_40_58-SAS2_ FSBROWSE Menu.jpg

2023-02-17 13_41_55-SAS2_ FSBROWSE Program.jpg

This practice is not convenient at all and time consuming.

AllanBowe
Barite | Level 11

I see.  Indeed, quite frustrating.  Given that these products will soon be out of support, you might wish to consider a migration project to put them onto a modern tech stack - using a regular web frontend, powered by SAS at the backend.  

The nice thing about this approach is that your datasets, filesystem, auto-execs, SAS server etc can all be re-used - whilst ending up with all your code in source control, providing a much nicer interface for end users, and using regular / generic SAS and JS developers for maintenance.

/Allan
SAS Challenges - SASensei
MacroCore library for app developers
SAS networking events (BeLux, Germany, UK&I)

Data Workflows, Data Contracts, Data Lineage, Drag & drop excel EUCs to SAS 9 & Viya - Data Controller
DevOps and AppDev on SAS 9 / Viya / Base SAS - SASjs

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation