BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
jkaran321
Calcite | Level 5

Hello SAS Community,

We are planning a SAS server and EG client deployment and request your opinion/recommendation on "Linux SAS Server --> Windows SAS EG client" or "Windows SAS Server --> Windows SAS EG client" combination for below points:

1. Which combination supports much user friendly features such batch submit, etc.
  2. Which combination will provide better performance in terms of IO and data analysis.
  3. Which combination will provide speed execution codes.

Kindly provide your comments on these points it would be great help.

Best regards,

Karan Joshi

5 REPLIES 5
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

Assuming you're planning on setting up a new environment that then also will require licensing and all the other stuff:

There is much more to be considered to come-up with an architecture that's right for you/your company. I feel you probably would best contact your SAS representative and ask for a proposal for a new environment. I'm sure SAS will then ask you all the relevant questions to come-up with such a proposal plus likely also mention alternative options you haven't even considered yet.

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

1. Which combination supports much user friendly features such batch submit, etc.

Depends on for whom? Who will adminster the server? What competences do you have?

2. Which combination will provide better performance in terms of IO and data analysis.

I don't there is any big difference. Maybe Linux have less of overhead...?

3. Which combination will provide speed execution codes.

Same as above? The SAS code and data is identical in structure...so what is you real pain?

Data never sleeps
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

From my experience, as a server system UNIX is always to be preferred, but you need to have the necessary know-how. If all you've got are Windows people, then you will probably have to stay with the toyboxes.

I've run our company's SAS data warehouse on UNIX systems for more than two decades (Reliant Unix, then AIX), and it never let me down, and was easier to handle than Windows by orders of magnitude. Even major release jumps (AIX 4.3 to 5.1, later 7.1) cause much less grief than a Windows release change or even hotfix.

<snark>

UNIX has servers counted per admin, Windows counts admins per server.

</snark>

Sajid01
Meteorite | Level 14

Hello @jkaran321 

I had an opportunity to run the same code on both Unix and Windows server  some years back (It was running SAS 9.2 then) the run times were comparable.

Both Windows and Linux have their own advantages but as an administrator my personal choice would be Linux. 

I feel shell scripting / programming (Bash/Ksh ) is more mature on Linux than windows power shell and this would be of great help. 
Thus if there capability  on Linux available then it would be good choice, other wise Windows ii what that remains.
Needless to say in the long term cloud is the future of SAS and knowledge of Linux would be helpful.

SAS EG client would work well in either scenarios.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

There is no right or wrong answer regarding choice of OS to use with SAS.

I assume you are talking about SAS 9.4 here. With SAS Viya 4, SAS's latest fully cloud-enabled offering, then Linux is the only choice anyway.

A lot depends on your company's preference and expertise. If you are mostly a Windows Server shop then stick with Windows. If you are mostly a Linux shop then stick with Linux.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 6 in conversation