BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
snagaich
Calcite | Level 5

I have a EDC product solution built using java, which collects clinical trials data. Since we are a software product company we do not use or have SAS software license / installation in house. I am now trying to understand the best way to directly export this data from the EDC datastore to a SAS Dataset (.sas7bdat) format. 
Any guidance on that would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

The SAS dataset format is proprietary; since you're a company, you should get in touch with SAS and try to obtain a license (for the format, not just for a single SAS installation) and the proper documentation.

snagaich
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks! I have requested the team to reach out and find out more about SAS licensing requirement to support our current needs.

Reeza
Super User

Use R or Python to create an XPT data set instead?

xport package

XPORT is an open format.

AlanC
Barite | Level 11

I also have a C# package on GitHub that does the xport format. It is a lot closer to Java than R or Python if you want to do a translation. It doesn't handle the most recent xport format since that one has a documentation issue on the SAS website. That may have been fixed.

I left the code in place in case you need to tackle it but it is not widely used (from what I saw).

https://github.com/savian-net
snagaich
Calcite | Level 5
Ok. So is it possible to import XPT files into SAS for creating SAS datasets which can then be used for analysis?
Specifically, for what purpose the XPT format files are used and how do you use them in your case?
Also, can I have the github link to your C# package?
AlanC
Barite | Level 11
For github, look under savian or savian.net.

The xpt format was created to allow for SAS data to be stored in an accessible format. This was done, decades ago, for govt compliance reasons. It allows SAS data to be read/written. However, for you, it would allow your data to be written to a format that a SAS customer could consume. Warning, it uses IBM mainframe floating points so those have to be converted. My code has that in there. I didnt solve it but I did the conversion to C#. That is on CodePlex, I believe.

You cant bundle SAS in your product. If you were just going to read SAS, there are some ways. Writing it is a lot more complex. Stick with the xpt format and ignore sas7bdat, my suggestion.
https://github.com/savian-net
snagaich
Calcite | Level 5
Ok. So is it possible to import XPT files into SAS for creating SAS datasets which can then be used for analysis?

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation