BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
woo
Barite | Level 11 woo
Barite | Level 11

Hello, is it good idea to combined two servers (for example, metadata server and grid control server, gsub and mid-tier) when we are planning to bring in new physical servers? Plan is to minimize the cost.

I am assuming it should be fine since we won't be running jobs either on metadata/grid control server or mid-tier/gsub server (just executing batch job from gsub, job still will be running on worker nodes). what are the implications in terms of performance? Thank you.

2 REPLIES 2
JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hello @woo,

technically speaking, it should be fine, but there are some topics to consider. Let me share what comes to m mind at this moment:

- of course, if you mix services, the calculation for the sizing towards performance is a bit more complex, but it is only a sizing exercise. Not big deal.

- If you have grid, you probably would like to have HA and performance. Create a load balancing configuration when you mix several components is much harder. In middle tier you create a cluster, in metadata a quorum and in GRID compute you configure EGO and the load balancing. Probably as I say this you can see the additional efforts and possible risks. So, not saying a no-no. Just bringing in the fact that you need effort and expertise.

- Same goes for failover and DR, increasing the times for recovery.

- for a DTA environment, it is probably fine to assume a few risks or additional maintenance / times,  but in production it seems sensible to me to increase a bit the costs, in pro of reducing risks and increasing availability/performance.

woo
Barite | Level 11 woo
Barite | Level 11

Thank you Juan for your inputs, it makes sense. Appreciate it.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 2 in conversation