BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Jayde
Fluorite | Level 6

We are working on buying SAS for 4 users in different locations. What kind of SAS products we need to buy? 

8 REPLIES 8
Reeza
Super User

You need to talk to a SAS Sales person but you likely want the analytics solution, make sure to include SAS/STAT and SAS/Access to PCFILES as modules in your purchase though. It saves you more in the long run in terms of programmer time. 

@Jayde wrote:

We are working on buying SAS for 4 users in different locations. What kind of SAS products we need to buy? 

Jayde
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you, Reeza. I tried. But they want too much about my company information which is not the right time to expose too much now. I'd like some ideas from users. 

SASKiwi
PROC Star

The SAS products you need depend on your data sourcing, processing, outputs and analytical requirements. You will need to share those requirements to get useful advice.

Jayde
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks for your response, SASkiwi.

We will use SAS for clinical phase 1-2 studies to create tables, listings and graphs. We will also use SAS working on modeling and simulation. I think for now, one server with 3 EGs as the environment. Do you think this will work for windows?

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Server SAS can be installed on Microsoft's Windows Server for sure. There are many advantages to using server-based SAS including superior performance and easier application / data sharing and user collaboration. There is a significant administration overhead with server-based SAS that needs to be considered. You may want to consider using a cloud-based SAS provider who handles all of the admin for you so you can just concentrate on your core business.

Jayde
Fluorite | Level 6

Good morning, SASkiwi,

It seems you are an expert. Thank you for the suggestion.

Server based SAS need what kind of license? Does each user need separated licensed too additional of license for server based SAS?

I have concern about data. The data will be in cloud if we use server based SAS, right? 

Why you don't suggest one server with 4 separate licensed Enterprise Guide? Then we can have the data in server and each one can communicate with server and also independently work. But this seems need IT management involved. What do you think?

Reeza
Super User

I have concern about data. The data will be in cloud if we use server based SAS, right? 

No, you can have your own internal server installation and YES, that usually requires IT involvement in many ways and someone to administer a server. You can get full desktop licenses, it depends on the size of your data and speed and processing requirements, which is beyond the scope of an online discussion IMO. You also would need to consider your current architecture and how it can be fitted into there. 

SASKiwi
PROC Star

@Jayde  - I suggest you talk to your SAS account manager. SAS provides a free service to scope your analytical needs. Once you do this it will become a lot clearer what SAS architecture will best suit your needs. I can't make recommendations based on very little knowledge of your requirements.