BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.

Greetings,

As you may have heard, Amazon has introduced several new instances that use the new Ice Lake chip from Intel.  These new instance types should work very well with SAS as replacements to existing AWS instances.  SAS has an inquiry in to Amazon to verify this statement.

For I3 and I3en instances, you can use the new I4i instances.

For M5dn or M5d instances, you can use the new M6i instances.

For R5dn or R5d instances, you can use the new R6i instances. 

Please let us know if you run into any issues running on these new instance types.   Or if you have been successfully using these new instances, please let us know that as well. 

Margaret

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MargaretC
SAS Employee

Here is what my colleague at Amazon said about using the I4i instances with SAS.

The VCPU to Memory ratio is the same as I3en, but networking bandwidth is higher which EBS bandwidth is the same. Pricing is also similar

They are designed for better storage latency compared to I3 family of instances, therefore my take is that these should provide better performance over I3.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
MargaretC
SAS Employee

Here is what my colleague at Amazon said about using the I4i instances with SAS.

The VCPU to Memory ratio is the same as I3en, but networking bandwidth is higher which EBS bandwidth is the same. Pricing is also similar

They are designed for better storage latency compared to I3 family of instances, therefore my take is that these should provide better performance over I3.

ZissLatz
Calcite | Level 5

I know this answer might be a bit late, but I wanted to share my thoughts with others who might have the same question. I recently discovered the AWS Certified DevOps Engineer training program, which seems like a great resource to enhance your skills in AWS. Regarding the new AWS instances and SAS, it's exciting to hear about the introduction of the Ice Lake chip and the new instance types. If you've been successfully using these instances, please let us know your experience. As for the I4i instances, they seem promising, with better storage latency compared to the I3 family. Thanks for the update, and keep rocking the AWS world!