BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
ballardw
Super User

I don't see an option for quoting a post that I am responding to. I really would like to have that back as it was the easiest way to keep track of what specifically I am referring to. Having to use something like the "block quote" is not quite the same as that does not indicate the actual source of what was copied.

14 REPLIES 14
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

@ballardw wrote:

I don't see an option for quoting a post that I am responding to. I really would like to have that back as it was the easiest way to keep track of what specifically I am referring to. Having to use something like the "block quote" is not quite the same as that does not indicate the actual source of what was copied.

It's this one. Do you see it?

ChrisHemedinger_0-1584546257636.png

SAS Hackathon registration is open! Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world.
ballardw
Super User

The indicated quote isn't working for me. Nothing happens.

And this morning I can't even copy text from another message and paste into a message with or without using the other "curly quote" icon.

I know I'm using "out dated" technology with Internet Explorer but that is the browser at work.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

I have had intermittent problems getting the quote button to work. Sometimes (like right now), I click on it with an empty message, and nothing happens.

--
Paige Miller
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Works for me. I typed this and hit the close quote button.

@PaigeMiller wrote:

I have had intermittent problems getting the quote button to work. Sometimes (like right now), I click on it with an empty message, and nothing happens.

And your message appeared.  I then it the open quote button.

And it started a block quote where I could type text.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26
Yes, sometimes it works that way for me as well. Other times, not.
--
Paige Miller
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Folks having problems -- if you have time and don't mind, can you check your browser console for errors? Might help us to diagnose.

In most browsers that's F12 to open the console, then error messages would show as you load the page and interact.

SAS Hackathon registration is open! Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world.
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

What would "errors" in the browser console look like? I attached a file from when this happened, is that what you need?

--
Paige Miller
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

I see notes like this:

Cross-Origin Read Blocking (CORB) blocked cross-origin response http://<localaddress>/cgi-bin/blockpage.cgi?ws-session=18446744071900402173

Which makes me wonder whether a corporate firewall is preventing some things from loading.

At SAS we have sometimes employed firewall proxies that can prevent non-trusted sites from loading completely.  When it happens for a vendor service we need/use, we send a ticket to IT to ask them to whitelist the domain. 

Since you have an investment in SAS, it makes sense that they would whitelist "*.sas.com" upon request.  (I know, I don't know your IT and how amenable they might be...but in my experience legit business cases are approved.)

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

But everything else at sas.com works

--
Paige Miller
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

I can only guess by what I see in the console log. The communities site has features for interactivity/engagement that you don't see on other sas.com sites, so anything that blocks part of its resources can affect how it functions.

Maybe a red herring.  You could look at the console log as you visit other external sites (that you know are working) and see if you see similar messages.

My google search leads me to believe that your org might use this service.  And if so, you might need to ask for this.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

I have gotten that Block screen on occasion, but never for sas.com; and when the page is blocked, then every web page at the domain is blocked, you can't view any web page at that domain; this is very different than the symptoms we are having here intermittently, where you get into a forum and then try to reply and the reply screen appears and so far everything is working, and then an icon misbehaves. I seriously doubt this is the problem.

--
Paige Miller
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Same problem from home, with no corporate firewall.

--
Paige Miller
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

@PaigeMiller wrote:

Same here (using Chrome): Sometimes after clicking the "quote" icon only the light gray bar appears, but no text is quoted. A few mouse clicks later (e.g. after expanding the toolbar) it works.

ballardw
Super User

@FreelanceReinh wrote:

@PaigeMiller wrote:

Same here (using Chrome): Sometimes after clicking the "quote" icon only the light gray bar appears, but no text is quoted. A few mouse clicks later (e.g. after expanding the toolbar) it works.

Using Firefox from home the quote worked. At least this morning. But normally I am not home and use a different browser.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 5 in conversation