BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Sometimes I see messages in a thread that do not not appear in chronological order. Is this a bug, or is it working properly and I don't understand what it is doing? (Or both?)

Example at https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Enterprise-Guide/How-Do-I-convert-a-string-like-09NOV2020-to-the-... As you can see, the earlier post (3 hours ago) is below the newer post (1 hour ago)

2021-07-13 17_16_21-How Do I convert a string like 09NOV2020 to the nu... - SAS Support Communities .png

--
Paige Miller
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hi Paige,

I see this effect only when I'm not logged in (i.e., very rarely). Otherwise, the setting "Newest first" under "My settings" → "Preferences" → "Linear Layout" → "Linear Format: Sorting order within topics" ensures reverse chronological order. "Oldest first" should work similarly (chronological order), but the default is "Threaded" -- which might be the setting you are using.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Astounding
PROC Star

It depends on which message you reply to.

If you reply to the original post, your message goes at the bottom.

If you reply to some other post, your message goes below that post.

I have suspected from time to time that some posters utilize this feature on purpose, to make it look like they replied earlier than they really did.  Why?  You would have to ask them.

FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hi Paige,

I see this effect only when I'm not logged in (i.e., very rarely). Otherwise, the setting "Newest first" under "My settings" → "Preferences" → "Linear Layout" → "Linear Format: Sorting order within topics" ensures reverse chronological order. "Oldest first" should work similarly (chronological order), but the default is "Threaded" -- which might be the setting you are using.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@FreelanceReinh wrote:

Hi Paige,

I think this is probably the explanation. Since I use the SAS Communities from both my work and home computer, sometimes I forget to sign in when I arrive home, or arrive at work. I did check that setting, and it is exactly what you said it should be, so I think I'm good now.

--
Paige Miller