BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
JamesPower4
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello: I'm being overly careful, so please forgive me if this is a naive question.

Can SAS datasets safely be kept in a folder that is being synchronized to the "cloud", such as a OneDrive folder?

I'm asking because I know that Access databases definitely cannot be stored in such locations - if the database is open when synchronization occurs the database is corrupted (guess how I know that!).

I assume it's safe with SAS datasets, because my understanding is that SAS always writes out a new dataset before deleting its predecessor, so that synchronization is unlikely to mess with it. Nonetheless if anyone can reassure me I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES 2
ballardw
Super User

@JamesPower4 wrote:

Hello: I'm being overly careful, so please forgive me if this is a naive question.

Can SAS datasets safely be kept in a folder that is being synchronized to the "cloud", such as a OneDrive folder?

I'm asking because I know that Access databases definitely cannot be stored in such locations - if the database is open when synchronization occurs the database is corrupted (guess how I know that!).

I assume it's safe with SAS datasets, because my understanding is that SAS always writes out a new dataset before deleting its predecessor, so that synchronization is unlikely to mess with it. Nonetheless if anyone can reassure me I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

I've been working for more than a year will all my SAS datasets except my work folder on a OneDrive location with no problems of data corruption. My data sets seldom exceed a few megabytes though.

JamesPower4
Fluorite | Level 6
Many thanks for the quick reply. I do believe it's OK, but just to be safe I want to find out if anyone has encountered corruption of their datasets.