BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Near the top right of the "All Recent Topics" page, which is the way I use the SAS Communities 99% of the time, I see a button that says "Next 100". Great, so if I know I want to find an old post, I can click on this (maybe need to do that on the next page and so on). 

But if I come back from a long weekend away, and I am in the situation where I have looked at all the posts on the first page and am now at the bottom of the page, and I still haven't seen all of the new-to-me posts, to get to the next 100, I have to scroll all the way up to the top of the page. So, being lazy, I'd prefer not to do that. I'd prefer to have the "Next 100" button at both the top and bottom of the page. So that's my request.

--
Paige Miller
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager
I think we've shared some good tips here and I'm grateful for the discussion. I've added the pagination buttons at the bottom as well, so now you have options 😉
Check out SAS Innovate on-demand content! Watch the main stage sessions, keynotes, and over 20 technical breakout sessions!

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

One thing that might help -- add ?topics=n to increase the number of topics fetched.

https://communities.sas.com/t5/custom/page/page-id/activity-hub-tbl?topics=300

You'll still see 100 at a time in the grid but 300 are loaded and available in the pagination at the bottom.

ChrisHemedinger_0-1650373666836.png

Check out SAS Innovate on-demand content! Watch the main stage sessions, keynotes, and over 20 technical breakout sessions!
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Thanks! That does seem to work, and would be a solution except that it take a very long time to load. Which means the original problem I have is solved in less time than the solution proposed, and it requires roughly the same amount of effort on my part. So the best path forward seems to be to not spend more time on this and I'll just accept the situation as it is.

--
Paige Miller
mkeintz
PROC Star

Actually, as I think about @ChrisHemedinger 's suggestion, perhaps viewing only 20 or 30 at a time instead of 300 or 100, might mitigate the problem.  The NEXT 20 (or 30) link is close enough to the bottom of the short topic list that a single upward stroke of the mouse wheel brings it back to the display.  No repetitive or sustained scrolling required.

https://communities.sas.com/t5/custom/page/page-id/activity-hub-tbl?topics=25

The problem of course would be how to make that into the default topic count of the "all recent topics" link.

--------------------------
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Good suggestion @mkeintz. When I built this years ago I landed on 100 as the sweet spot (not too slow to load, but enough content). Of course you can use the ?topics=25 in a browser bookmark. I may still look at Paige's original idea of putting a "Next" at the bottom...but wanted to provide some options for right now.

Other parameters you might like -- filter to those where a specific author participated:

https://communities.sas.com/t5/custom/page/page-id/activity-hub-tbl?topics=25&author=mkeintz

Limit to a specific board:

https://communities.sas.com/t5/custom/page/page-id/activity-hub-tbl?topics=25&board=programming

(Board id is part of the URL for the forum page you're interested in. Example: https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Programming/bd-p/programming)

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@mkeintz wrote:

Actually, as I think about @ChrisHemedinger 's suggestion, perhaps viewing only 20 or 30 at a time instead of 300 or 100, might mitigate the problem.  The NEXT 20 (or 30) link is close enough to the bottom of the short topic list that a single upward stroke of the mouse wheel brings it back to the display.  No repetitive or sustained scrolling required.

https://communities.sas.com/t5/custom/page/page-id/activity-hub-tbl?topics=25

The problem of course would be how to make that into the default topic count of the "all recent topics" link.

I could set up two links and bookmark them in my browser. One is the actual link (which shows 100 posts) which I would use when I first come to the SAS Communities in the morning, as likely I will be looking at more than 25 posts; and another link which is the link above showing 25 recent posts, which I could use the rest of the day. I might experiment with this to see if it feels like an improvement.

--
Paige Miller
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager
I think we've shared some good tips here and I'm grateful for the discussion. I've added the pagination buttons at the bottom as well, so now you have options 😉
ballardw
Super User

@ChrisHemedinger 

Am I the only that has seen a change in the forum font/font size this morning?

Did something piggy-back on this setting change?

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

We did change the font family for headings in topics -- been working this in as part of our overall branding aligned with other SAS digital properties.

ballardw
Super User

@ChrisHemedinger wrote:

We did change the font family for headings in topics -- been working this in as part of our overall branding aligned with other SAS digital properties.

As long as it was intentional.

I will say that with my eyes I cannot tell the "bold" unread from the read subjects very well.

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

@ballardw Made some more font tweaks for "unread" vs "read" - does it help?

ballardw
Super User

@ChrisHemedinger wrote:

@ballardw Made some more font tweaks for "unread" vs "read" - does it help?

@ChrisHemedinger 

Maybe a little better. The font for subjects looks small to be a subject line.

mkeintz
PROC Star

I typically use the "All Recent Topics" link as well, although I honestly can't recall the last time I went beyond the most recent 100.

Even so, I agree with this request.  Or possibly have the next 100 constantly displayed so that it is not scrolled off the top of the display as you progress through the 100 topics.

The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 4 in conversation