BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
mkeintz
PROC Star

On a few occasions I've seen batches of topics in Chinese (I presume), knocking out all English entries from the communities home page, and even taking up (say) 10 of the first 13 entries of the ALL RECENT TOPICS page.

Can the SAS Communities developers implement a way to detect topics that are not in English (or maybe just primarily using non Latin fonts), that I could subsequently use to filter out (or filter in) my views?

--------------------------
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

--------------------------
8 REPLIES 8
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

In fact, I'd be tempted to block this particular user for me if this was possible. The constant rush of posts (it seems it's Korean) drowns out all the others; I just had to go to the THIRD(!) page to find a very recent post I wanted to answer to.

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

The content you're seeing (or did see -- you shouldn't now) is valid Korean content.  There is a large batch of content coming from the SAS Korea users...however, the intention was to keep it "hidden" until it's all in place.  It's in the process of being transferred from a different community site.  I've adjusted permissions so that you shouldn't see it now.

Once it goes live, there will be occasional content from Korea (just as there is from Japan and Israel and Germany) and that will appear in global community feeds.  We are a melting pot of SAS users from around the world, and the community reflects that.  English is used most -- by far -- so I don't anticipate that this will affect your feeds too much.  However, if it becomes an issue we'll look for ways to filter.

Check out SAS Innovate on-demand content! Watch the main stage sessions, keynotes, and over 20 technical breakout sessions!
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

So that is a very valid reason for the posts to appear, and also for them to be hidden at the moment.

If the future traffic is anything like the traffic from the Japan group, it's perfectly OK. That just reminds us how diverse this site is. The only thing that "annoys" me is that there's probably a lot of questions I could answer if I just understood them 😉

PS for something completely different: listening to Chicago III, and James Pankow just went into one of his monster solos. $DEITY, those guys could play!

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

@Kurt_Bremser Elegy? Hope you're listening on vinyl, like a true fan.

Alas the one time I saw Chicago play was during the Chicago 16 era. They were producing Prom songs at that time, and didn't dig too much into their back catalog as far as I can recall.

Check out SAS Innovate on-demand content! Watch the main stage sessions, keynotes, and over 20 technical breakout sessions!
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Yep, one of the Elegy parts, but MP3 from a CD I recently bought. Back when those albums came out, I didn't have the money (for everything I wanted, so I had to settle for bands I was even more a fan of - ELP, Yes, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, the like), and they were awfully hard to get in Austria. Got to know Chicago through Chicago IV, which was available in our school's library. Lived with a CC copy of that for many years, until I found that Chicago themselves had re-issued their back catalog. Right now, I have everything from I to V and a few live albums (in Japan, Beginnings).

ballardw
Super User

Since most of those posts appeared in the Tech Tips area I sort of assumed this was a block of existing tips that were translated into Korean. And was wondering "will we see the same thing in Hindi/Thai/... when another new group gets added.

But second the notion of a user set language filter.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

My problem with what happened is that there really isn't a need to publish ALL of those tech tips at once. I sincerely doubt they were all created in the last 24 hours and published in bulk at once; they were most likely written over an extended period of time, and if they are published a few at a time, more or less at the time they are written, there's no problem at all.

--
Paige Miller

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 5 in conversation