BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
KALLEN
Obsidian | Level 7

How many datasets can you put in a library? Or what is the max size of datasets that a library can hold?

I received an error:

ERROR: Insufficient space in file DEMO5.JAN2017_KA.DATA.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

@KALLEN wrote:

How many datasets can you put in a library? Or what is the max size of datasets that a library can hold?

I received an error:

You simply ran out of disk space on the physical storage volume that contains the directory to which the library DEMO5 points; it might also be that a foresighted admin installed a quota regime, and you exhausted your personal quota.

SAS does not impose any limit on the number of datasets in a library. A limit might come from the operating system,or from available memory for the display window, but all those limits are ridiculously high these days; much more limiting is the time it takes to read the dataset names into a server list window, and how much we as users/programmers can deal with before we are overwhelmed/annoyed by sheer numbers. I guess nobody is fond of having to browse through 100,000 datasets in search for a specific one.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
r_behata
Barite | Level 11
Perhaps it is limited only by the amount of resources available in the system.
r_behata
Barite | Level 11

Your  Hard disk seems to be full, You may need to clean up some space.

Are you running Windows or Linux/Unix ?

ballardw
Super User

@KALLEN wrote:

I received an error:

If you are working with EG in a server environment you may need to talk to you SAS Admin about any limits that may have been set for your connection or the target library.

Since we have questions occasionally about datasets exceeding terabyte size I doubt that default limits of file sizes are the issue.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

@KALLEN wrote:

I received an error:

You simply ran out of disk space on the physical storage volume that contains the directory to which the library DEMO5 points; it might also be that a foresighted admin installed a quota regime, and you exhausted your personal quota.

SAS does not impose any limit on the number of datasets in a library. A limit might come from the operating system,or from available memory for the display window, but all those limits are ridiculously high these days; much more limiting is the time it takes to read the dataset names into a server list window, and how much we as users/programmers can deal with before we are overwhelmed/annoyed by sheer numbers. I guess nobody is fond of having to browse through 100,000 datasets in search for a specific one.