BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
AhmedAl_Attar
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Hi,

I tried to share a template/sample .EGP file as an attachment with a user in my reply, but it kept getting removed, as I pressed the Post button!

Is there a way to share EG projects?

Thanks,

Ahmed

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Forum software such as ours keys off of "mime type" to identify a file attachment and reconcile the contents with what is known about the file extension.  It errs on the side of caution -- if the file extension/mime type doesn't square with the file contents, it's disallowed.  Your browser actually decides what mime type to assign, and ironically -- those with SAS Enterprise Guide installed would probably have trouble attaching the file, because your system calls it one thing when it's actually a ZIP file format.

We made accommodations for easily sharable files like SAS programs and SAS data sets.  But EGP files do have the issue cited here -- compatibility across releases.  Compressing in a zip file is a workaround for sharing here, if you'd like.

Check out SAS Innovate on-demand content! Watch the main stage sessions, keynotes, and over 20 technical breakout sessions!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
SuryaKiran
Meteorite | Level 14

Hello,

Please try saving it as .txt extension and share (eg: sample.egp.txt). May be it might work, give it a shot. 

Thanks,
Suryakiran
AhmedAl_Attar
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
I did that, and still didn't work!
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

In essence, a .egp file is a zip archive. It might be that the forum software recognizes the incompatibility of content to filename extension and removes the file because of this.

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

I guess sharing .egp is problematic because EG is not forward compatible. So if both parties aren't on the same version then either the receiving end can't open a newer .egp version or when opening an older .egp version will convert it to a newer version - and then can't share it back to the sender.

AhmedAl_Attar
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
Fare point,and I totally agree with the compatibility issue. But, this does not explain/justify the removal of the file when it's attached to the reply.

Typically attachments are removed for security reasons (Virus, Trojan Horse, Malware,...etc), and not for fear of incompatibilities.

Just my 2 cents,
Ahmed
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Forum software such as ours keys off of "mime type" to identify a file attachment and reconcile the contents with what is known about the file extension.  It errs on the side of caution -- if the file extension/mime type doesn't square with the file contents, it's disallowed.  Your browser actually decides what mime type to assign, and ironically -- those with SAS Enterprise Guide installed would probably have trouble attaching the file, because your system calls it one thing when it's actually a ZIP file format.

We made accommodations for easily sharable files like SAS programs and SAS data sets.  But EGP files do have the issue cited here -- compatibility across releases.  Compressing in a zip file is a workaround for sharing here, if you'd like.

Check out SAS Innovate on-demand content! Watch the main stage sessions, keynotes, and over 20 technical breakout sessions!
AhmedAl_Attar
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
Thanks Chris,
I'll keep that in mind for the future.
Regards,
Ahmed