PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Me three!

--
Paige Miller
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

There is a button in the email notification for generating likes.

Screenshot 2022-02-13 094859.jpg

They are probably using that.

Try it with the email you should get from this post and see if it generates a like.

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

I do suspect it is triggered by the email button. However, it might not be intentional. Looking at their "like" actions it's not as many as I would think if it was an automatic email action. If it gets out of hand we'll see if there is an action to take.

SAS Hackathon registration is open! Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world.
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Looks like it only happens for posts in the Programming - SAS Programming Community.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

@ChrisHemedinger wrote:

I do suspect it is triggered by the email button. However, it might not be intentional. Looking at their "like" actions it's not as many as I would think if it was an automatic email action. If it gets out of hand we'll see if there is an action to take.

So I clicked the LIKE button in the email and it did indeed bump the LIKE count.

It also opened the page in EDGE browser without actually logging me into the site. I had to login to start making this reply.

So that should explain how someone can like posts without actually logging onto the site.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

It must be some kind of automatism, I just received a lightning-quick like (see here) that simply cannot be the result of someone receiving mail and clicking "Like" there.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

There must be some type of follow option in the forum software that is triggering these automatic likes.

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

We've seen this before -- it's rare, but somehow for a few people there's something that triggers the "like". When I've looked into it with other affected users, it's not intentional or anything the member is doing to cause it directly. For this one user I've removed the ability to give "likes" so we'll see how that plays out.

SAS Hackathon registration is open! Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world.
SASKiwi
PROC Star

The gbatista likes are still happening for me.

FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

@ChrisHemedinger wrote:

For this one user I've removed the ability to give "likes" so we'll see how that plays out.

Yet, about 150 new likes have piled up since then. And more evidence that at least not all of them make sense.

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

f4a470cc7e354b6b69c099d790d0e4ae.jpg

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Today, the same problem appears, getting apparent automatic likes from @Jen_Robertson 

--
Paige Miller
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

My theory (yet to be proven) is that something in the email notifications is triggering this (since you can "Like" a message from a link in the email). I've removed that button from the email notices...for now. We'll see if this addresses it.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 10 likes
  • 7 in conversation