BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
CorinneT
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi, 

1) Could somebody tell me how to check quickly the LOG? Please an other  way as: CTLF+F=error or warning....

2) Do the statement PUTLOG deals with it? Please, If yes, could you tell me how it runs.

Thanks in advance for all answers.

Regards,

Corinne

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User
If you're using Studio or EG there is a summary of the log at the top with the number of ERRORS, NOTES and WARNINGS found in the log.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
japelin
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

1)try this
type F9, select key and set "log; find 'ERROR:'" to Definition field.
close keys.
Then, type short cut key.
you will able to search keywords "ERROR:";

You need to set "find WARNING" to other key, though.

2021-10-14_01h20_22.png

2)Putlog will always just put in the log window.
It will be easier to understand if you run the following code.

/* put statement */
data _null_;
  set sashelp.class;
  put name;
run;

/* putlog statement */
data _null_;
  set sashelp.class;
  putlog name;
run;

/* put statement with file statement */
filename tmp temp;
data _null_;
  set sashelp.class;
  file tmp;
  put name;
run;

/* putlog statement with file statement */
filename tmp temp;
data _null_;
  set sashelp.class;
  file tmp;
  putlog name;
run;

CorinneT
Obsidian | Level 7
ok, thanks.
Quentin
Super User

Hi,

If you want to dig deeper, I'd suggest visit lexjansen.com and search for log scanners / log parsers.  There are lots of papers by people who wrote macros to make it easier to scan a log (or a directory full of logs), and return a list of errors, warnings, and bad notes.

One of my favorite papers is 20 years old, but worth a read:

https://www.lexjansen.com/nesug/nesug01/cc/cc4008.pdf

They make an excellent recommendation that when looking for bad notes, it's safer to define a list of good notes rather than listing the bad notes.  Also, some errors do not start with ERROR:, they start with ERROR ###: where there is a numeric code before the colon. My parser looks for a first line that starts with ERROR WARNING or NOTE, using both space and colon as delimiter.

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Don Henderson presenting on using hash functions (not hash tables!) to segment data on June 12. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
CorinneT
Obsidian | Level 7
Thanks for these tips
Reeza
Super User
If you're using Studio or EG there is a summary of the log at the top with the number of ERRORS, NOTES and WARNINGS found in the log.
CorinneT
Obsidian | Level 7
Yes, thanks I know. But I use SAS base 9.4 😞

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Autotuning Deep Learning Models Using SAS

Follow along as SAS’ Robert Blanchard explains three aspects of autotuning in a deep learning context: globalized search, localized search and an in parallel method using SAS.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 4 in conversation