BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
GH16Green
Calcite | Level 5

Hi, I recently got a new laptop as my old one died and had to get a windows 8 one (not my choice!). But when I tried to install by SAS 9.3 it wouldn't install as previosu version was windows 7. So I contacted SAS for help and their response was that version 9.3 and 9.4 are not supported in windows 8 only in windows 8 PRO. And my 'fix' was to downgrade to windows 7 (?) or upgrade to windows 8...

BUT

My colleague has SAS running ok on his windows 8 machine - so...has anyone else got SAS 9.3 or 9.4 running on a windows 8 machine (without pro)? I find it very strange that SAS are choosing to not support it...and that basically my licence is now worthless unless I pay more money to upgrade to windows 8 pro...

3 REPLIES 3
meb_SAS
SAS Employee

Some clarification is likely needed for this.

SAS 9.3 is supported on Windows 8 if it is the Education Analytical Suite. Also the SAS revision itself has to be a certain revision or higher as well. Please observe this sasnote: http://support.sas.com/kb/46/876.html

Note in the 9.3 section the fully supported revisions is SAS 9.3 TS1M2 Revision 13w18.

You may find this page helpful also: http://support.sas.com/supportos/list

Using it will show you that SAS 9.3 is supported on Windows 8 and notice the comment section about the Education Analytical Suite.

I hope this help. Please contact SAS Technical Support if further assistance is needed.

OS2Rules
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi:

Other alternative is to install VMWARE and then install a Windows 7 operating system in there.  Then install you current SAS 9.3 on the virtual system.

I have windows 8.1 on my laptop and I am running SAS University edition withour problems.  I also have a 9.4 version that I run in a VMWARE virtual

session when I want to use a traditional environment.

ShelleySessoms
Community Manager

Hello Gemma, it appears you've gotten a couple helpful responses to your question. I am going to mark this question as "assumed answered." I believe it's always helpful, for you and others, to mark a question as answered. You can do this at any time, once you receive a helpful answer. Thanks for using the community!

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation