BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Linlin
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Does SAS 9.4 run slowly on a laptop? Is it possible to install 9.4 on a Microsoft Surface Pro 2 and run effectively?

Thank you!

9 REPLIES 9
SASKiwi
PROC Star

As far as I am aware the Microsoft Surface runs a cut-down version of Windows called Windows RT. This is not one of the operating systems supported by SAS.

This link may help:

http://support.sas.com/documentation/installcenter/en/ikfdtnwx6sr/66390/PDF/default/sreq.pdf

Linlin
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Surface pro 2 has "the FULL VERSION of WINDOWS 8.1" . will that be OK?

Reeza
Super User

Do you mean a tablet, instead of laptop?

If so an ASUS transformer may be a possibility.

Notebooks & Ultrabooks - ASUS Transformer Book T100

Linlin
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Thanks Reeza!

SAS9.4 on my laptop runs much slower than 9.3 did.

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

Works like a charm on mine. ...but then I've used my chance to ask for a new laptop with more memory in order to run SAS 9.4 images as now more and more clients are web-based so one needs the additional memory to run the mid-tier as well (I'm assigning 8GB RAM to such images).

Linlin
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Thank you Patrick!  I am thinking of buying a 128 GB Surface Pro2. will that be OK?

Haikuo
Onyx | Level 15

Linlin, 128GB is storage, though it is supposed to be a lot faster (SSD) comparing to disk based storage, but it is still not RAM, while RAM is critical to your SAS performance.

Haikuo

sas_9
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Lilin - it's all depend on how many SAS applications you are going to download in your laptop....more applications will need more physical space to download and more ram to run SAS smoothly...

Linlin
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi Haikuo and Sandy,

Thank you for your inputs!

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 6 in conversation