BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
azertyuiop
Quartz | Level 8

Hello / Good Morning ,

Currently the department where I work in my company use Windows 7 under 32 bits (only one computer is in 64 bits). It's plan to migrate all computers under Windows 10 in 64 bits.

Problem : 2 laptop and 3 classicals computers use SAS Base 9.4 with Enterprise guide 7.1 .

With this migration plan under Windows 10 in 64 bits , know you the impacts in the SAS app ? (if there are conflicting , inconsistent , constraint ? ... )

If you know several informations in this subject I'm opened to talk about this Smiley Happy

Thanks for your help Smiley Wink

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

First of all, because of multiple users I'd consider moving to a client/server setup. Instead of several (and possibly growing in number) client-based licenses you'll have one. Switching to a BI server gives you the advantage of using SAS Studio, so no client app installation is necessary.

The ease and security of centralized management and storage might well offset any additional up-front cost.

At the same time I'd move from a pure Windows environment to a Linux-based server, reducing OS license cost and opening up to the superior manageability of a UNIX system.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

First of all, because of multiple users I'd consider moving to a client/server setup. Instead of several (and possibly growing in number) client-based licenses you'll have one. Switching to a BI server gives you the advantage of using SAS Studio, so no client app installation is necessary.

The ease and security of centralized management and storage might well offset any additional up-front cost.

At the same time I'd move from a pure Windows environment to a Linux-based server, reducing OS license cost and opening up to the superior manageability of a UNIX system.

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hello there @azertyuiop,

Of course I cannot ensure no impact at all 100% because it depends on configuration, network, group policies etc, but, I would give it a go. You can always create an image or backup, first, just in case.

If you have troubles, you can always update/ reinstall those clients, on pure 64-bit. That's never a problem. Beware to use the SAS Deployment Manager to uninstall SAS software. It should be already on each installation. 

Something very important I would check, is that if your SAS license actually covers 64 bit Windows, or just 32bit. If it does not cover 64bit, You would need to contact your SAS representative to get a new license and new depot... but I think you will do it anyway, for the new 9.4 version.

ballardw
Super User

If you have anything that use in the 32bit platform that resides in a catalog you need to make sure that you can bring it forward.

Common headaches: Formats/informats that you can't find the source code for. Run Rroc format on any format libraries with the cntlout option to create a dataset you can transfer or access in the new system with Proc Format and cntlin.

If you use compiled macros make sure you have the code so you can recompile them.

Or investigate Proc CPORT before the 32bit systems disappear.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

I suggest you set up one of your PCs with 64-bit Windows 10 and SAS 9.4 and use that to migrate and test all of your SAS applications and data before you update the other computers. You need to ensure that the SAS applications work without problems and give you the same results before switching the rest over.

Please note you should use at least SAS 9.4M4 to be compatible with Windows 10.    

azertyuiop
Quartz | Level 8

Hello / Good morning ,

I notice all informations that you have gave. Smiley Wink

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 5 in conversation