BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
saspert
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi,

I have a question regarding this option in SAS MC. My admin recently moved the "Meta Library" option from left hand side to right hand side (as seen in the below picture). Does anyone know what it does to the library?

Thanks,

saspert.

sas_meta_library_assignment.jpg
6 REPLIES 6
Haikuo
Onyx | Level 15

So that all of the App servers can have access to this library? In EG, going down the server tree, you will find this library associated with all of the App servers, on the other hand, if this library was not assigned to some App servers, you won't be able to find its name under the specific server in the server tree.

Haikuo

saspert
Pyrite | Level 9

I think you are referring to the AppServer1 - 6 options but I am referring to SAS Meta Server option which you do not see in the list.

twocanbazza
Quartz | Level 8

That window is for defining where the library can be assigned, ie what servers can acess and assign the library.

If your admin has put the 'Meta data Server' in the box on the right it is saying that the library can be assinged and accessed by that server.  Not sure why as the meta data server would not normally be used for data processing, however there could be a good reason for it - ask your admin.

Barry

saspert
Pyrite | Level 9

A possible reason is that we are seeing all the libraries as unassigned when we open the EG project. The admin was saying that when you move the "metadata server" to the right, the libraries should be automatically assigned. Is that correct?

Haikuo
Onyx | Level 15

If "automatically assigned" means pre-assigned, then NO, your SAS admin was wrong. Putting "metaserver" down will not pre-assign libraries, that is for sure.

Then why your "metaserver" was moved to the assigned right column? I don't know. But I can tell you the general meaning of "moving to the right column": It gives power of the servers on right to access metadata of this library when being called. So can you run your code on "metaserver"? in theory you can. However, I haven't seen any environment setting up in such a way that users access "metaserver" like this, mainly because metaserver OS local security will block users from jobs such as " act as part of OS" or "running batch job", which is commonly seen on App servers.

Haikuo

saspert
Pyrite | Level 9

I was thinking the same too. Moving the option to the right and "pre-assigning" are not related. I wanted to check here in the communities.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation