BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
JohnsonIp
Calcite | Level 5

Hi all,

I am going to install SAS 9.2 and need to decide whether use Oracle for content server.

Do anyone know the benefit if I use content server with or without Oracle?

Thanks for kindly help in advance.

Johnson

2 REPLIES 2
ShaneGibson_OptimalBI
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi Johnson

There are a couple of benefits in using Oracle as a content server:

- If you are running multiple load balanced web servers (ie weblogic) then they all need to access the same content server/store and so Oracle is a good option for this

- If your corporate standard database is Oracle then using it for the content server will make you "comply" with the standard better, and hopefuly utise the standard Oracle backup mechanisms you will already have in place.

The downside is of course you wil need an oracle license, potentially an extra server etc

The other thing to be very careful of is you need to make sure you backup your metadata repository/data, your content server repository/data (and ideally your actual data) at the same time otherwise restoring to a known state becomes rather difficult!

Cheers

Shane

JohnsonIp
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Shane,

Thanks for your sharing, especially the last point. I agree it is very important.

Johnson

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 2 in conversation