BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
keV
Calcite | Level 5 keV
Calcite | Level 5

I am using the SAS IOM OleDB provider to create and populate SAS tables via execution of SQL statements.

All is working fine, but, for creation of string fields, I am defaulting to a length of 400 because I cannot know the maximum string length in advance.

This results in very large disk space usage for string fields.

One option is to somehow set COMPRESS = CHAR as part of my CREATE TABLE  execution, or some other command I can execute on the connection.

Does anyone know how to do this, or can suggest anything else to help?

Thanks

Kevin

2 REPLIES 2
jakarman
Barite | Level 11

SAS(R) 9.3 SQL Procedure User's Guide (dataset options). Did you try it coding as a SAS dataset option?

IT will do RLE optimizing causing some overhead in the CPU but of you have many of those the gaining in IO could be a far more better trade off.

---->-- ja karman --<-----
keV
Calcite | Level 5 keV
Calcite | Level 5

I did not realise it was as simple as changing "CREATE TABLE (" to "CREATE table (compress=char, " into my CommandText.

On my test table, what was 312Mb is now 12 Mb (262,144 rows with 3 string fields). Very impressive size reduction, and it writes20%  faster too.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation