BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
homer_J_simpson
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello,

I am trying to figure out how to start up a Workspace Server.  I can see we paid for Workspace Server for Enterprise Access but I don't see how to start up the server?  Or even tell if I installed all the correct components to start it up?

Any info or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
5 REPLIES 5
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Workspace servers are started by the object spawner, which needs to be started from the operating system's initialization mechanism (inittab on UNIX).

homer_J_simpson
Fluorite | Level 6

I have read in the SAS support docs that it has to be started from a spawner.. but i have not been able to find how to create/setup the Workspace Server.  I have read how to add additonal servers , but it seems that the support docs always reference SAS Manager and/or a Metadata server.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Metadata plays a pivotal role. The spawner reads its own configuration (which servers it is responsible for) and the configuration of the servers (ports, start commands, parameters) from the metadata server. Additionally, all servers have their subtree in the configuration tree (scripts, config and autoexec files, log directory etc), which needs to be set up and maintained.

homer_J_simpson
Fluorite | Level 6

We don't have any Metadata servers...  so does this mean we cannot have a Workspace Server at all?

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

On a simple one-machine installation, the Local server is automatically recognized. All multi-tier setups are based on the presence of a metadata server.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation