BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
AnirbanJD1
Obsidian | Level 7

I am trying to find the steps to host the SAS VDD application (SAS version 9.3) on AWS. Is there any documentation or references for getting the details?

5 REPLIES 5
SASKiwi
PROC Star

I very much doubt that SAS 9.3 is supported on AWS. You will likely need SAS 9.4 M6 / M7 for any cloud installation..

SimonDawson
SAS Employee

The SAS 9.3 platform would be supported so long as the instance is running an operating system supported for SAS 9.3. The list of operating systems supported with SAS 9.3 is a list of operating systems that are now extremely old, many of those operating systems will be reaching their end of life from the various operating system vendors. If you were to deploy SAS 9.3 it would not be long before support is gone for the required operating system and third party software.

Another gotcha with deploying old SAS software into AWS is many of the cloud native software as a service offerings from Amazon (e.g. all the managed databases) are not going to be supported with SAS 9.3. To get support for connecting to things like Amazon Aurora you need to be running relatively recent version of SAS.

If a whole new deployment is going to be done and there is not a complex migration of content to be done then it makes sense to always deploy the latest version of SAS that is available.

AnirbanJD1
Obsidian | Level 7

I believe there is no SAS 9.3 or SAS 9.4 available in AWS marketplace. So are the steps of action is to perform the SAS VDD installation (as was done in case of the on-premises server) on an instance of AWS? 

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 4 in conversation