BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
ShelleySessoms
Community Manager

SAS Global Forum 2016 just ended, but we are already looking ahead to 2017. We are in the planning stages for papers and presentations, and would like your input. What topics would you like to see covered next year? Please be as specific as possible. This conference is for YOU, so we want to ensure the presentations hit the mark. 

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
10 REPLIES 10
MargaretC
SAS Employee

Here is a list of topics that I have heard in various meetings around SAS.  I would love to get feedback from the SAS Admins on this group to help me rank them in their order of importance.  Many thanks in advance for your thoughts on these topics and/or any other topic suggestions you have. 

Architecture Best Practices in configuring EMC Storage for SAS - Steven Bonichi, EMC
Architecture Best Practices in configuring EMC's VCE and VBOCK with Cisco's UCS hardware - Danny Dunn, Cisco
Architecture Migrating to a SAS Grid environment
Architecture Which shared/clustered file systems should one use for SAS Grid?  (Margaret's team, SAS)
Deployment Migrating to a SAS Grid environment; managing the migration from traditional SAS processes to SAS EG in the Grid environment
Deployment Tips for deploying SAS in a public cloud environment
Deployment Guidance Tips for Deploying Foundation SAS in a Public Cloud
Administration Inheriting the SAS admin role with no prior experience (“The Accidental Administrator”)
Administration What Administration Tools can be used to do what?
Administration List of the Administration roles needed to support the entire SAS infrastructure
Administration SAS Environment Manager papers:  SAS Environment Manager for Dummmies; Review sample reports;  How to create customized reports (could be a HOW)
Administration Am I Getting the Most Value of my SAS Installation Dollar? - Al Cordoba, Qualex Corp
Security SAS® Metadata Security 301: Auditing your SAS Environment - Charyn Faenza, F.N.B. Corporation
Security Tips in Using a Virtual IP with Firewall 
TriciaAanderud
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Probably some information about Viya and how those changes are going to impact SAS Visual Analytics and other products. Making the change to those products.

Most of these look like some interesting topics as well.

Good topic!

Tricia Aanderud

Twitter: @taanderud - Follow me!

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hi Margaret,

great list of topics, and I am with Tricia, all Viya related topics are now very interesting and on the point of view of many people and companies. And on mine as SAS passionate individual.

More trending topics I can think about, at this moment,  could be:

- Main differences to be considered between the traditional SAS Grid environment with IBM Platform Computing and the new SAS Grid environment with Hadoop and plans for the future.

- Best practices and recommendations from SAS on Disaster Recovery systems for SAS environments including Big Data, big ETLs, etc. 

- SAS Job Monitor, how and for what.

- Administering a SAS Cyber Security solution.

- Performance / availability tips for SAS VA on distributed mode and non-distributed mode.

And about your list, my personal ranking, withouth knowing the exact content, would be (where 1 is the highest preference, and I see al interesting):

3 Best Practices in configuring EMC Storage for SAS - Steven Bonichi, EMC
3 Best Practices in configuring EMC's VCE and VBOCK with Cisco's UCS hardware - Danny Dunn, Cisco
1 Migrating to a SAS Grid environment
1 Which shared/clustered file systems should one use for SAS Grid?  (Margaret's team, SAS)
2 Migrating to a SAS Grid environment; managing the migration from traditional SAS processes to SAS EG in the Grid environment
1 Tips for deploying SAS in a public cloud environment
2 Guidance Tips for Deploying Foundation SAS in a Public Cloud
1 Inheriting the SAS admin role with no prior experience (“The Accidental Administrator”)
2 What Administration Tools can be used to do what?
3 List of the Administration roles needed to support the entire SAS infrastructure
2 SAS Environment Manager papers:  SAS Environment Manager for Dummmies; Review sample reports;  How to create customized reports (could be a HOW)
3 Am I Getting the Most Value of my SAS Installation Dollar? - Al Cordoba, Qualex Corp
2 SAS® Metadata Security 301: Auditing your SAS Environment - Charyn Faenza, F.N.B. Corporation
2 Tips in Using a Virtual IP with Firewall

Thank you for the list!

kevind
Obsidian | Level 7

I'm interested in hearing about successes/failures of implementing SAS in the cloud (preferably Google Cloud) and how to decide which approach to take (containers, SAS 9.4 on VMs, or Viya).

kevind
Obsidian | Level 7

Another topic for me would be along the lines of Site Reliability Engineering, what tasks should an admin automate to maintain, update and check on health of their systems.     Currently we are on 9.4 M2 but we are looking to 9.4 M3 to have the new version of Environment Manager to better manage SAS.

ShelleySessoms
Community Manager
Thanks for the ideas. We're working on conference content now, so I'll pass these along.

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Since I am in that situation right now, a segment dealing with how to make SAS play well with different and mixed forms of authentication.

IE we might have to deal with a setup (in AIX, on top of it all) where some users will be kept within the classic UNIX authentication (passwd, group, and their "shadow" complements), some will be authenticated by the OS against an LDAP source (Active Directory), and some (purely for web applications) might need to be authenticated directly against LDAP, without a local user context.

ShelleySessoms
Community Manager
Thanks for those ideas @Kurt_Bremser. I've passed them along to the admin coordinators. Perhaps we can also cover some of these topics in upcoming SUGA meetings.

kevind
Obsidian | Level 7
Hi Kurt, last May I converted a SAS 9.4m2 Redhat Grid over to authenticating with Active Directory using sssd/pam services. Along with that I had to change ownership and groups for 700,000+ files. It's much better for us now that we don't have users maintaining local accounts on multiple Linux servers. I can share some of the details with you next week if you think it would be useful for you.
NishikantaMohanty
SAS Employee
May I request to add following
1. Midtier performance tuning simplified way
2.Reporting jobs from lsf bhist command

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 8 likes
  • 7 in conversation