BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
u60593051
Calcite | Level 5

Hey y'all,

I have used center for medicaid data on SAS and it struggled to process the big datasets (50 million rows). I recently used Google Cloud Platform. GCP allowed me to store huge datasets and used bigquery to manipulate them seamlessly. I want to use SAS code on Google Cloud Platform to work on my data. is that possible? simply put, i want the data to be stored in GCP and i want to code SAS syntax on GCP. is that possible? I hope that makes sense. Thank you for any tips. 

5 REPLIES 5
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

You would likely want SAS Viya/CAS with fast access to the data.

https://www.sas.com/en_au/solutions/cloud/gcp.html 

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
Even if it's preferable to jump on the more cloud ready Viya wagon, it's still possible to install SAS9 on a Google virtual machine.
Data never sleeps
gwootton
SAS Super FREQ

There is a SAS/ACCESS Interface to Google BigQuery:

https://go.documentation.sas.com/doc/en/pgmsascdc/9.4_3.5/acreldb/n0bm9s8t6t6rr2n1qgkamlgtb0kk.htm

You could use this to engage BigQuery from SAS.

--
Greg Wootton | Principal Systems Technical Support Engineer
SASKiwi
PROC Star

In my experience 50 million rows isn't that big. We frequently process datasets of that size and larger (350m rows for example) using on-premises SAS 9.4 and performance is good. If you start to get up into the thousands of millions of rows then GCP and other big data options would be worth exploring.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 like
  • 6 in conversation