BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Cedric_HANQUEZ
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I have a large set of users (internal users @saspw) and I'd like to give them the chance to change their internal password by themselves.

They have an access to the stored process web app, and only that application.

I am thinking of a Stored Process that they could use to change this password.

Has someone already created such stored process?

Thanks

Cédric

2 REPLIES 2
Quentin
Super User

I'm not an admin or a security guy, but this seems risky.  If you write a stored process to hand-roll the process of updating passwords, you could easily end up with passwords ending up in clear text log files, etc.  

I assumed most servers were set up to integrate with an independent, dedicated account/password management system (e.g. active directory on Windows), where I would assume any processes for updating passwords would be secure by design.

(Oh, I just googled.  The definition of these internal accounts (@saspw) is that they exist only in metadata, not in an external authentication domain. So I can how if you've got a lot of these, you would want some automated way for users to be able to maintain them.  yikes. Assuming these users only have read access to reports that aren't sensitive, maybe the benefits of having an automated stored process to allow users to manage their passwords are worth the security risks.)

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Don Henderson presenting on using hash functions (not hash tables!) to segment data on June 12. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
SASKiwi
PROC Star

There's a large learning curve to doing this if you haven't played with SAS metadata before. You will need to become familiar with the DATA step metadata functions. then learn how to navigate the metadata object model. I find it easiest to use the metadata browser (METABROWSE) that is available in the SAS Windowing Environment. Please note that writing to the SAS metadata repository is risky and can easily end up corrupting it. You could investigate the Active Directory metadata synching process to gain a better understanding of updating.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation