BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
kannand
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hello,

I have a AIX/Unix script that runs a SAS program along with other debugging SAS commands as shown below:

#!/bin/ksh
ls -altr > /cml_jobs/cim/dev/users/k85671/scripts/content1.txt
.profile
sas /cml_jobs/cim/dev/users/k85671/scripts/cimport.sas -altlog /cml_jobs/cim/dev/users/k85671/scripts/cimportlog.txt
ls -altr > /cml_jobs/cim/dev/users/k85671/scripts/content2.txt

I call this script through this code which is a proc run through a JCL

NDMRUN2   PROCESS                                               - 
  HOLD=NO                 /* YES, NO, OR CALL                */ - 
  PNODE=HI.CHICAGO        /* DESTINATION                     */ - 
  SNODE=VH2_NABISAS       /* SOURCE                          */ - 
  RETAIN=NO                                                       
STEP1  COPY  FROM (PNODE DSN=&INDSN  DISP=SHR                   - 
                   SYSOPTS=":DATATYPE=BINARY:")                 - 
               TO (SNODE DSN=&OUTDSN DISP=RPL                   - 
                   SYSOPTS=":DATATYPE=BINARY:")                   
STEP2 RUN TASK SNODE (PGM=UNIX)                                 - 
    SYSOPTS="/cml_jobs/cim/dev/users/k85671/scripts/ls.ksh"       

When I run the script on PuTTY, it runs like a breeze. However, when I run the JCL, all the commands run except the SAS pgm.  The NDM logs are clean. But the file "cimportlog.txt" is not created while the files above and below are created (content1.txt, content2.txt)

Unsure of the the issue is.....

Any help is appreciated.

Kannan Deivasigamani
4 REPLIES 4
kannand
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
The number log is clean with no errors.  Says that the command was submitted successfully. But no log file as defined in the shell...

Kannan Deivasigamani
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

One reason that a SAS batch run does not create a log file is a missing program file. If the JCL does not catch stderr, the relevant message might never appear where you can find it.

This really smells like different environments between JCL and your commandline. Maybe the JCL ID can't read in your home directory.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Hmm. I see something:

#!/bin/ksh
ls -altr > /cml_jobs/cim/dev/users/k85671/scripts/content1.txt
.profile
sas /cml_jobs/cim/dev/users/k85671/scripts/cimport.sas -altlog /cml_jobs/cim/dev/users/k85671/scripts/cimportlog.txt
ls -altr > /cml_jobs/cim/dev/users/k85671/scripts/content2.txt

This .profile may be bogus.

Why?

If it sets environment variables, it does so in a shell forked off the one that runs the scripts. When it terminates, all changes are lost.

Use

. /path_to_your_home_directory/.profile

instead if you want to make sure that another user gets your environment. If "sas" is not found, and stderr is not correctly captured, your shell script will exit with the exit code from the last command, which won't fail.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation