BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Thuva
Calcite | Level 5

I have a Windows 8 laptop with SAS 9.3.  I need to uninstall it urgently so that I can reinstall to include packages I need. 

1. I've tried going to 'Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features' and double clicking (and right clicking) SAS 9.3.

-->I get "'This application does not support  your system".

2. I've tried to run SAS Deployment Manager

-->I get "'This application does not support  your system".

Can I just delete all the SAS files/folders?

Thuva

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
michele_sas
SAS Employee

Hi Thuva,

The error you experienced when trying to uninstall your software on Windows 8.1,

"This application does not support  your system", is a known issue which is documented in this SAS note.  The problem happens for Windows 8.1 or Windows Server 2012 operating systems that have Windows Update 1 (KB2919355) installed.

52767 - Windows 8.1 Update 1 or Windows Server 2012 R2 Update 1 might cause a SAS® installation to f...

The problem was fixed by SAS in the most recent revisions of SAS 9.3 and SAS 9.4 software. If you do not want to remove the Windows update just to uninstall your SAS software,  you can instead open a track with SAS Technical Support who will provide you with a workaround to remove the software.

My response might be too late if you have already removed SAS manually by deleting folders but might help somebody else who runs into the problem.

Michele

http://support.sas.com/kb/52/767.html

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Andre
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Thuva,

just today i encounter a problem uninstalling sas 9.3.2 due to the change of java in the meantime

(6.24to 7.60 now version)

so on w7 (32bits and 64bits)  ONLY if you have administrator rights !!!!!!!!!!!

and FIRST you must unhide the hidden system directories

and stop each services of sas   sas remote browser or and sas pc file server

If you don't know , then stop and ask elsewhere help and don't continue

then

cancel directory c:\program files\sashome  completely  (6 to 8 gigas)

cancel directory    sashome or and sas in c:\program data\

same in  enventual  c:\program files(x86)\

after

in c:\users

you must cancel the SAS directory that are inside  (for each user ) if present

in

c:\users\thuya\appdata\local    and in   c:\users\thuya\appdata\roaming

and reboot your laptop

REm  for W8 i don't know if it is very different

HTH

Andre

Andre
Obsidian | Level 7

The final touch must be

before reboot

apply ccleaner  64 or 32 bits to clean the registry  that may have a lot of  non related key to the old software

sorry for my mistake (as it is important)

but for W8    you must perhaps wait until other advices are coming

Andre

Thuva
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks Andre for your detailed response - I am working through them.  I have set myself as the administrator and can now view hidden files. 

What do you mean by 'stop each service of sas' - do I just delete it all SAS folders I find?  

What do you mean by  'cancel the directory'?  Do I just delete the SASHome folder in 'c:\program files\sashome '?

Thuva

Andre
Obsidian | Level 7

Be carefull    as my solution is a report for sas 9.3  on W7  installed as foundation+EG+imlstudio

A service is a task that is working behind and impeach desinstalling of software correctly

sas remote browser   (  can be seen in ctrl+alt+suppr  list of tasks)  under the name RMB.exe 

and  pcfile service   under the name saspcfserver.exe   if active   if i remember well (here from home i can't forward exct names)

"Cancel a directory" is suppressing it completely.

Now i see that you are not aware of  the complexity of the different places where sas leaves traces

so my counsell is to ask to the official sas help  desk as i suppose you have a valid sas licence.

Andre

SASKiwi
PROC Star

It also pays to read SAS Notes on uninstalling. Here is a good starting point:

http://support.sas.com/kb/46/923.html

michele_sas
SAS Employee

Hi Thuva,

The error you experienced when trying to uninstall your software on Windows 8.1,

"This application does not support  your system", is a known issue which is documented in this SAS note.  The problem happens for Windows 8.1 or Windows Server 2012 operating systems that have Windows Update 1 (KB2919355) installed.

52767 - Windows 8.1 Update 1 or Windows Server 2012 R2 Update 1 might cause a SAS® installation to f...

The problem was fixed by SAS in the most recent revisions of SAS 9.3 and SAS 9.4 software. If you do not want to remove the Windows update just to uninstall your SAS software,  you can instead open a track with SAS Technical Support who will provide you with a workaround to remove the software.

My response might be too late if you have already removed SAS manually by deleting folders but might help somebody else who runs into the problem.

Michele

http://support.sas.com/kb/52/767.html

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 4 in conversation