BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
pavithra
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello,

I am trying to get Monthly report of all sas users with access to SAS and installed sas tools and utilization of all the SAS application, when do they run, how often, by whom information. I have been looking & googling SAS documents & could not able to find the answer except these below 3 options,

1. Enable SAS environment manager extended monitoring.

2. Metacoda plug-in

3. Enterprise Session Monitor

When i enable SAS Environment manager extended monitor most of the reports from report center are not straight forward.

All i am trying is to get report something like below

Date

Time

User

SAS Application

mm-dd-yy

00:00

Abc

SAS EG

mm-dd-yy

00:00

Def

SAS FS

I hope SAS admin experts can help me with this report.

Thanks in Advance. 

5 REPLIES 5
Damo
SAS Employee

Hi @pavithra

The SAS Environment Manager might definitively help you, the list of default reports is available here.

The ARM report Server Usage By User could be a strating point.

You would also have to create your own report as per Adding Reports to the Report Center.

Contents build by @DaveNaden might assist you:

Using the SAS Environment Manager Report Center to Explore Auditing Data (Youtube video)

Opening Up the SAS Environment Manager Report Center

Auditing using the SAS Environment Manager Report Center– tips and tricks

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Damo

pavithra
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi Damo,

Thanks for the reply. 

Can we able to get CPU usage for a particular SAS Job?

Damo
SAS Employee

Hi @pavithra

From the first link I provided, you'll find the list of existing "out of the box" reports.

One is about "Top 5 Ranked on CPU Usage" so starting from that one, you should be able to get what you want.

Cheers,
Damo

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hello @pavithra,

to achieve the task you are aiming for, you probably will need a mix of solutions, depending on what you would like to monitor.

Based on resources usage by job, probably you should go for Enterprise Session Monitor by @boemskats or SAS Environment Manager. Just remember that the SAS Environment Manager is a great tool for analysis on performance, more for SAS services than SAS jobs, but it probably should not be your main monitoring tool since it depends on metadata, WIP and Middle tier to be UP.

I will also give you some additional tips.

• The extended monitoring for the Environment Manager, now named Architecture Framework it is quite interesting from the point of view that will extend the information level on your logs (Workspace, Stored Process, etc), collect it, fill in the WIP database and even creates a good set of reports out-of-the-box for you, on the shape of Stored Processes. So, with this option, you will collect much additional information on your environment that you can use with those reports, or create reports of your own if you know how to parse the logs or query the WIP database. Problem is, several clients won't be detected per-se, such as EG or Office Addon, they will be just Workspace server jobs. And this will never collect data regarding what has been done (query level) and usage at datastep level, you would need to parse your own logs.
  • SAS Federation Server is a great tool for those open questions as above. The trick is that all the libraries you want can be managed by SAS Federation Server, hence, monitored to their lowest level. It won't monitor the jobs "as-is", but it will monitor every single query to the data. You will know what has been queried, by whom and you can control how users will access the data, you can encrypt, anonymize, etc.

Again, I think for your purposes, the quickest solution will probably be a mix of solutions. Environment Manager and EMI Framework can be set up within half of a day, and ESM (Enterprise Session Monitor) in another day, then you can customize them as much as you want.

PS. You mentioned Metacoda. While a great tool, very recommended, It is metadata based, it won't help you with the monitor of jobs, only visibility on metadata and audit the metadata, hence, not answering this particular question.

Hope it helps.

Kind regards,

Juan

pavithra
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello @JuanS_OCS

SAS Environment manager can be setup to get the reports. But i believe Enterprise Session Monitor tool is additional license cost. 

As you mentioned using Environment manger report center I can't get data for EG/FS application jobs. For this reports i have to phrase the logs from workspace server.

Do you have experience to query workspace server/metadata server logs?

Thanks.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 3 in conversation